Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kale Chips x 2 page

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member

Kale Chips x 2

Shop Now
    We all know how good kale is for us...leafy green vegetables and all...but sometimes grocery store kale is just TOO hairy-chested for me. I tried steaming and saute-ing and it was still chewy. Very, very chewy.

So it was time for kale chips again--I'd been craving salty-crispy, anyway, and potato chips are right out, these days!

I cut out the midrib and tore the leaves into bite sizes, poured a tablespoon or two of olive oil over the first batch, and sprinkled with Pepperman--a lovely mixture of pepper flakes and sea salt. Into the toaster oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes till the edges start to brown, then out and add a shake of good Parmesan cheese--that last is highly optional, but good.

For my second batch I prepared the kale leaves the same, but used sesame oil, a splash of organic soy sauce, and some of my husband's home made Chinese 5-spice mix. It was harder to cover the leaves completely with this mix, so I got in there with my hands and rubbed it around.

It took a little longer to get these crispy, I imagine because of the liquid, but BOY are they good. Hot out of the oven or cooled on paper towels, these aren't going to last out the evening!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    YUMMM!!! I love kale chips! kale raw/cooked is a little hard to eat, but man kale chips go down nice and easy

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Agreed! I won't touch kale raw or cooked, but in chip form, dried, I love it!

I sprinkle mine with a little coconut aminos for flavor, a bit of olive oil to keep it pretty and green, and just throw it in the dehydrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post

I sprinkle mine with a little coconut aminos for flavor, a bit of olive oil to keep it pretty and green, and just throw it in the dehydrator.
    Ooh! This sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post

I haven't tried it just dried! I'll give it a shot next time we have the dehydrator going...
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    YUMMM!!! I love kale chips! kale raw/cooked is a little hard to eat, but man kale chips go down nice and easy
    Love your quote, JennaRose...who needs bread when you've got bacon, indeed!
    Best--
    Kate

rrich49132 is offline Member
    I have made kale chips many times and like mine with olive oil, dried onion flakes and Cayenne. It is so awesome. I end up eating the entire tray of it. One of my coworkers who gets his daily intake of fruit from pop tarts and will never eat anything healthy loved this so much he went out and bought this stuff to make at home the day he tried it.

RennieVan is offline Member
    These sound great. You guys that use the dehydrator, how long does it take? I haven't pulled mine out in a while, but this would be worth it!

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Ummmm, with a dehydrator it takes mine like 6 hours, maybe 8, depending on how wet I got 'em and how much stuff I put on them. If you use a dehydrator, it may be helpful to remove any really big ribs from the kale before drying. The big ribs can get really tough, like twigs in your mouth.

Another thing you can do is bake them in a low oven to get them started and then switch them over to the dehydrator after 40 minutes or so, if you want more tender chips.

RennieVan is offline Member
    That's an idea! I am so hungry right now I could eat anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast