Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, noob here and need some direction!! page

PrimalLMT is offline Junior Member

Sorry, noob here and need some direction!!

Shop Now
    Ok so I am relatively new to all this, been primal for 2 months now and feel amazing, energy through the roof, it amazes me at times. Now my question is about IF and weight loss....I need a link to show me where the link is to explain this better to me, and SECOND, I would really love to hear from some of you that have been doing IF and what effect it has had for you!?? I am a 34 yo female and I crossfit 4x a week and have 2 kids and 2 businesses that I run, one being my massage therapy practice, so I am pretty active on my " off xfit" days!! I am just at a stall and I am wanting to shake things up!! Thanks!!

droidsteve is offline Junior Member
    This is part six of Mark's Fasting series, links to the other 5 are at the bottom of the article...

How to Implement Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    I think marks posts are great but what I think is lost in all the info is how/why you lose weight. If you are primal then your body does not store excess calories as fat, so you will not gain weight as fat. But that does not mean the you are going to lose weight. Keto or not, if you maintain a caloric surplus for the entire day by eating throughout the day, then you will not lose weight. The burning of fat happen when you run a caloric deficit. Even if its for 1 hour you will burn your stored fat for energy. So the reason IF works is that you create longer periods of caloric deficit and therefor burn stored fat. The reason IF should not be that hard compared to someone on SAD is that your body being primal has no problem switching to burning stored fat.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    I think marks posts are great but what I think is lost in all the info is how/why you lose weight. If you are primal then your body does not store excess calories as fat, so you will not gain weight as fat. But that does not mean the you are going to lose weight. Keto or not, if you maintain a caloric surplus for the entire day by eating throughout the day, then you will not lose weight. The burning of fat happen when you run a caloric deficit. Even if its for 1 hour you will burn your stored fat for energy. So the reason IF works is that you create longer periods of caloric deficit and therefor burn stored fat. The reason IF should not be that hard compared to someone on SAD is that your body being primal has no problem switching to burning stored fat.
    Just one more thing, its not about the calories consumed throughout the day but when those calories are consumed. If person A skips breakfast and then eats an extra 1400 calories for lunch, Person A will lose weight. If Person B eats a 700 calorie breakfast but does not add an extra 1400 calories for lunch, Person B will not lose weight even though less cal are consumed.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    You eat less energy then your body uses. Here's the thing.. When you stop eating the crap and food becomes less available and not super palatable and addictive you eat less without suffering. Your body gets all the nutrients it needs, so stops asking for more food. So naturally you use excess body fat for energy.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    You eat less energy then your body uses. Here's the thing.. When you stop eating the crap and food becomes less available and not super palatable and addictive you eat less without suffering. Your body gets all the nutrients it needs, so stops asking for more food. So naturally you use excess body fat for energy.
    All correct.. But not everyone is the same. I was eating pretty primally, but was oversnacking. Even if this is just nuts, scratching the itch stimulates it. I was always afraid of being hungry, so I fell for the "small meals" diet. The worse thing about a small meals diet is when you go ahead and have the big meal anyway. That's what I was doing, eating way too much. If you're doing that, it doesn't matter how much you exercise, you will not lose weight.

Letting myself go hungry, embracing the pangs, then stifling them with two large primal meals a day, has killed my appetite and cured me from snacking. That, combined with walking, sprinting and weight lifting during fasts accelerated my weight loss. I'm down to 165 from 180. This is a low as I've been in a long time. I think I have 5-10 more to go before my belly is completely flat.

Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    All correct.. But not everyone is the same. I was eating pretty primally, but was oversnacking. Even if this is just nuts, scratching the itch stimulates it. I was always afraid of being hungry, so I fell for the "small meals" diet. The worse thing about a small meals diet is when you go ahead and have the big meal anyway. That's what I was doing, eating way too much. If you're doing that, it doesn't matter how much you exercise, you will not lose weight.

Letting myself go hungry, embracing the pangs, then stifling them with two large primal meals a day, has killed my appetite and cured me from snacking. That, combined with walking, sprinting and weight lifting during fasts accelerated my weight loss. I'm down to 165 from 180. This is a low as I've been in a long time. I think I have 5-10 more to go before my belly is completely flat.
    All true But not usually necessary for Nooobs
    Primal since March 2011

PrimalLMT is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    All true But not usually necessary for Nooobs
    I was wondering what you mean by that, I'm confused!? What's not necessary?? Did IF help you activia?? We are the same height and weight!! What are your goals if you don't mind my asking!? Are you finding it harder to lose now, the lower you get?

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalLMT View Post
    I was wondering what you mean by that, I'm confused!? What's not necessary?? Did IF help you activia?? We are the same height and weight!! What are your goals if you don't mind my asking!? Are you finding it harder to lose now, the lower you get?
    Well for noobs its best to KISS. Just get eating whole foods and get thru all your SAD cravings. Once you are in the groove and not having any massive cravings and are feeling good then you can start fine tuning to your goals. That's when you should look into cutting out snacking, then IF, then maybe carb refeeds timed after lifting sessions. Also you really need to start looking at stress management... because if you are under too much stress and not managing it, it will hinder your goals. Also make sure you are having fun

Honestly right now I'm more on cruise control, just working on getting stronger and on attaining life long health habits. I have tried all that but really hit a plateau.. so decided that instead of stressing about it and going crazy I'd take a break (chronic caloric restriction bad as well)... I haven't gained weight, and have gotten stronger (I can now do 4 unassisted pullups ) The rest of my stats are in my sig
    Primal since March 2011

JcbyFong is offline Junior Member
    it doesn't matter how much you exercise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast