Thread: Handstand Help!! page

Gavin is offline Member

Handstand Help!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, so I'm working on a handstand and have run into several problems that no tutorial on Handstands seems to address. THey are:

1) I can only get up when I have 3 point of contact (2 hands and my head resting on the mattress against the wall). Everytime I try to do it farther away, I always sway forward and hit my head and hurt my neck.

2) I can't seem to get my legs to go up gracefully, they mostly fly up.

3) Wrists kind of hurt when the weight is more on my fingers.

If anyone has a guide or insight to any of this I would be really appreciative. Thanks!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Your hands might be too close to the wall; they should be at least a foot away. When you swing your legs up to the wall, it will feel like you have to over-balance with your feet beyond your head.

sandstone is offline Member
    It sounds like you need to work on your strength. If you can only get up with 3 points of contact does that mean you arms are not strong enough to support your bodyweight? A mattress is not a very good base to be working from either, it will be adding in a lot of instability to the wrist, if you need to place a towel under your head but your hands need to be firm and stable.

Work on crow stands for a while (I'm sure there are tutorials on youtube) to build wrist, arm and shoulder strength. Once you arms and shoulders are strong enough to support your weight kicking up will be much easier.

Also try Googling- Beastskills or Gold Medal Bodies, they both have free HS tutorials which are pretty complete.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Depending on your level of agility, I'd suggest working on forward rolls, backward rolls and cartwheels first. You will learn to be more comfortable when your legs are over your head and you'll develop good habits to fall without hurting yourself.

loganchristopher is offline Junior Member
    Hey gavin, I think that my tutorials would address your problems and answer your questions.
    You can take a look at a more detailed guide here:
    How to do a Handstand Tutorial | Lost Art of Hand Balancing
    AND
    Wrist Flexibility Report | Lost Art of Hand Balancing

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Former gymnast here- if your head is touching, you're doing a headstand, not a handstand. Still admirable, but not what you're going for.
    You need to use your core strength to lift, not kick, your legs into position. Otherwise, if that wall wasn't there, you'd go right over. If you're not ready for a front walkover, that could be painful.
    So lift your legs into position. It may take a few tries, because it's a lot harder that relying on momentum, but it's more stable. Once you're up, maintain a straight, or slightly hollow body position with shoulders next to ears. Focus on pushing the floor away. Do not arch your back - you should be able to look up and see your feet. Everything must be straight.
    Check out the crossfit gymnastics site for good progressions.
    Good luck!

loganchristopher is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscellangela View Post
    Former gymnast here- if your head is touching, you're doing a headstand, not a handstand. Still admirable, but not what you're going for.
    You need to use your core strength to lift, not kick, your legs into position. Otherwise, if that wall wasn't there, you'd go right over. If you're not ready for a front walkover, that could be painful.
    So lift your legs into position. It may take a few tries, because it's a lot harder that relying on momentum, but it's more stable. Once you're up, maintain a straight, or slightly hollow body position with shoulders next to ears. Focus on pushing the floor away. Do not arch your back - you should be able to look up and see your feet. Everything must be straight.
    Check out the crossfit gymnastics site for good progressions.
    Good luck!
    What Miscellangela said and a nice addition would be the tutorial I wrote a while ago that I think will address your concerns on handstands:
    How to do a Handstand Tutorial | Lost Art of Hand Balancing