Thread: My story page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

My story

Shop Now
    I accidently posted this thread in the wrong category I think (The journal one) because I'm not planning to keep updating this thread, so I'll re-post it here:

Hi, I'm... Oh you know me already

Well, if there's someone who doesn't know me yet, I'm william, 14 years old (15 on june 3rd).

Ok I decided to sit down on the couch with my laptop and write my story connected to health/paleo. I don't know how long it's going to be and what exactly is going to be in there but here we go..

I live in Holland (The Netherlands). I'm just your average teenager, I stress over school, do stupid stuff with friends etc. I have obviously always followed the diet my parents fed me. Start off the day with bread and fruit juice, bread for lunch, pasta for dinner. When I became older, 11-12 years old. I started buying more food myself, I ate an extra bowl of quaker cruesli every single night, went to the grocery story with friends 3-4x a week and bought donuts, iced tea, cookies, cake etc. Every summer I would eat ice cream about every other day ON TOP of that. Basically I didn't pay one second of attention to what I ate and I just consumed whatever was on my path. However, I was quite active, basketballing 2-3x times a week and cycling everywhere since a bike is the most used transport device in the Netherlands. and I have never been even a tiny bit overweight or have I ever been unhealthy. The only thing I sometimes 'suffered' from was heartburn. But I was the happiest and healthiest kid alive. I continued living like this for 2-3 years. But then, one day, I stumbled across an article and read that Diabetes is heriditary, and I knew my grandpa had Diabetes type 2. And I have been very health-anxious since I was about 11, I have thought I had cancer, aids, kidney stones and a lot of other horrible things. But everytime this anxiety disappeared after a week or so. But anyways, since I was so health-anxious I started looking further on what could cause Diabetes, and obviously also found articles that said excessive sugar consumption caused diabetes. At this point I started thinking about my diet, and realized it couldn't be healthy and I really had to cut back on sugar. So slowly but steady I started cutting out refined sugars. After about a month or so I basically did not eat any refined sugars at all anymore. However, I was worried that I already ate my way to diabetes so one morning I decided to go the doctor and do a blood sugar test. Well this came out fine and I was relieved. But, I still wanted to prevent getting Diabetes so I did more research. I found a video on youtube; "Sugar, the bitter truth". It's a 90 minute video (I remember) and I watched the whole thing. At one point in the video the guy mentioned the paleo diet. So I started googling around and started learning what the paleo diet was. At first I thought it was rediculous to cut out grains etc as I'm sure some of you also thought when you first learned about primal eating. But, as curious as I was, I kept on googling and found Mark's Daily Apple. The first article I read was about why grains were unhealthy. After reading the article I was kind of convinced. So I started eating grain based products only once a day instead of 3-4 times a day. But I wanted to be a 100% healthy after a while I just quit grains entirely. So slowly I started eating more and more primal and eventually I was (trying to be) eating a 100% paleo. At this point cooking dinner was becoming difficult because my parents breaded soy and grain based meat-substitutions, often pasta, and vegetables for dinner every night, and a nice and healthy fat free, artificial sweetened yogurt as dessert. (They think they eat very healthy). But luckily, my mom wasn't bothered if I cooked my own meat and ate mushrooms or potatoes instead of pasta. My dad did not seem to care either but he complains a little bit and there have been 2 times that he really "snapped" and yelled at me and when he even made me cry (and believe me, I don't cry often, about once-twice a year). But the next day he would apologize and we could move on.

But in this whole process of changing my lifestyle I became a lot less happy and sometimes even depressed. My friends also noticed decreased energy and they said I never talked or laughed anymore. I realized this and it was because the only thing I could think about was food; I was always thinking about what I would eat next because I was afraid it would be unhealthy if I didn't plan it beforehand. At this point I also started losing weight even though I did not need to lose weight, neither did I try to lose weight. But I did not know how much to eat anymore. And that's where I am now. I don't know when this food-obsession will end, I started coping with it better and I have also become happier again. Also my dad accepts the way I eat now.

The main things I'm struggling with currently are not knowing how much I should eat (for now I really need some kind of calorie guideline otherwise I just have NO and also I'm still a little depressed because I miss the happy days where would eat awesome as well with my family or friends. For example I used to eat pizza every or every other week with my best friend at the lake on a nice summer night. This was really the best night of the week and looking forward to it kept me going all week long . Or when I think about the vacations I had with my parents, where I would enjoy the delicious hotel breakfast, consisting of fruit - some slices of toast, one or two small pancakes, some fish, and a nice hot chocolate, maybe 2 cups. I don't remember exactly how much and what I ate because I didn't pay attention to it. And for dinner, I would order a big good quality hamburger with an iced tea and have some ice cream for dessert. Not to forget the unhealthy snacks I had during the day . *yeah, those were the days..

I hope I can figure it all out soon, and I would be awesome if you guys can answer my questions as you've always done .

It's now 45 minutes later, and I don't feel like re-reading the story I just wrote. So there might be some mistakes in there because english is my second language. I'm gonna make myself some strawberries and some goat's cheese with basil, and tomorrow it's my dad's birthday and we're going to eat out. And if I feel like eating pasta and ice cream I hope I can eat it without guilt

Thanks for reading this maybe uninteresting story.

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Stop thinking about food so much, just eat when you are hungry and eat enough so you feel full and satisfied. Try to think of it as not depriving yourself and instead think about how yummy the food is and how much you CAN eat!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for sharing your story. There is a lot of fear-mongering these days on eating bad and good foods, and I understand how that could seem scary to an impressionable young mind, but keep in mind that most of it is geared toward those whose health is already poor. For a healthy young man like you, there really is not much to be concerned about. As I've said in my previous posts, just enjoy your life. Your friends will be overjoyed to have you back.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

billp is offline Senior Member
    You probably should have just carried on eating as before, as there wasn't anything wrong with you and there was no particular reason for you to become diabetic. You are getting depressed because you aren't eating enough. That is really common if you are not eating properly.

Just eat normally, but with a paleo emphasis - more meat and fat than most people your age, maybe don't fill up on just bread, pasta and sugar, but still eat them too. Give up doing the full paleo thing. That is for fat older people who have messed up metabolisms. You need quantity mostly.

I also think it is important to eat with your family. You can always eat other stuff too. By the way, being obsessed by food is normal for people who aren't eating enough. So eat more. Maybe don't check this forum as much, it is mostly people who are much older than you.

Great English. I had no idea you were Dutch - I thought you were definitely American.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for sharing your story. You write well, better than any American 14 year old. You got into this because you were afraid you would get diabetes. Well, eating pizza and "fruit - some slices of toast, one or two small pancakes, some fish, and a nice hot chocolate, maybe 2 cups...a big good quality hamburger with an iced tea and have some ice cream for dessert" will not give you diabetes. It simply won't.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Thank you everyone for the comments Today I have not been thinking about food at all because I currently tell myself everyday: "tonight when I have time I can take some time out to maybe think about what I'm going to eat the next day". And so I do that, and don't have to think about for the next 24 hours.

You know it would be awesome if one of you guys could like be here with me for a week and see how much/what I eat and how much I exercise and give your opinion on my lifestyle oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    You probably should have just carried on eating as before, as there wasn't anything wrong with you and there was no particular reason for you to become diabetic. You are getting depressed because you aren't eating enough. That is really common if you are not eating properly.

Just eat normally, but with a paleo emphasis - more meat and fat than most people your age, maybe don't fill up on just bread, pasta and sugar, but still eat them too. Give up doing the full paleo thing. That is for fat older people who have messed up metabolisms. You need quantity mostly.

I also think it is important to eat with your family. You can always eat other stuff too. By the way, being obsessed by food is normal for people who aren't eating enough. So eat more. Maybe don't check this forum as much, it is mostly people who are much older than you.

Great English. I had no idea you were Dutch - I thought you were definitely American.
    Haha, "That is for fat older people" made me laugh. Anyway I think I can keep it up quite easy to eat mostly primal during the week (maybe eat legumes or pasta if my parents really want to) and forget about paleo during the weekend and eat pizza and ice cream. Overall that would already be a huge improvement in what I used to do.

And thanks for the compliment