Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not feeling well? What do you eat? page

c_bolton12 is offline Member

Unhappy Not feeling well? What do you eat?

Primal Fuel
    I've got a pretty bad flu going on (fever, headaches, cough, aches, the usual) and it is the first time I have really been sick since starting Primal. When I was a kid my mom used to give my brother and I plain pasta with cheese when we were sick (bless her soul! She didn't know!) or chicken noodle soup, so I am craving both. Plus, I am not in a huge mood to get off my butt and cook -- I haven't eaten in about 20 hours, which wouldn't normally be bad but also isn't helping fuel my immune system much.

What does everyone eat for comfort/strength when they are sick?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Well, what do you have, for starters? If you're nauseous, fasting it a fine idea IMO. Take some vitamin D if you can, a lot of it (20,000IU), over the next couple of days.

Broth/soup/bone broth would be a good idea if you have any, otherwise you could make it (fairly easily) in a crock pot.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

activia is offline Senior Member
    bone broth, then move onto soup with chicken and veggies, still with bone broth.. add in some fruit. Garlic/onions and berries. Also if you can get a steamer, that would be helpful. Vit D, Vit C supplements.

Feel better! I just got over the same thing myself.... triggered from the ant bomb in the office.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Miso soup... easy and keep those electrolytes up!
    Chicken and rice is a great alternative to Chicken Noodle.
    And of course bone broth... but that's a LONG cook time... if you need something soonish. Always good to put a pot on though... but work removing the bones that you might not feel up to while ill.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Miso soup... easy and keep those electrolytes up!
    Chicken and rice is a great alternative to Chicken Noodle.
    And of course bone broth... but that's a LONG cook time... if you need something soonish. Always good to put a pot on though... but work removing the bones that you might not feel up to while ill.
    I just took some chicken carcuses out of the freezer, threw them in the crockpot then went to sleep and rested.. I didnt feel hungry anyways. By the time I was hungry I had bone broth I could spoon out and drink, and use to make white rice. Then I just put a whole chicken in the pressure cooker (took 5 min) with some uncut veggies (didnt feel up to cutting) and spooned out more broth, and added the chicken and veggies. Then I took frozen spinach and put it in the microwave for 6 min with some butter.
    Primal since March 2011

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Chicken soup
    Tea
    Egg drop soup
    Cheesy Cauliflower (aka Mac and Cheese)

Not sure if you eat rice or potatoes or legumes but there is a lot you can do with those. Mostly though its getting lots of liquids (clear broth type soups) or what your tummy can handle in the way of strong smells/flavors
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    I just took some chicken carcuses out of the freezer, threw them in the crockpot then went to sleep and rested.. I didnt feel hungry anyways. By the time I was hungry I had bone broth I could spoon out and drink, and use to make white rice. Then I just put a whole chicken in the pressure cooker (took 5 min) with some uncut veggies (didnt feel up to cutting) and spooned out more broth, and added the chicken and veggies. Then I took frozen spinach and put it in the microwave for 6 min with some butter.
    That works too. I try to keep some good broth frozen for times like that... Freezer room is really limited and I rarely have room for extra carcasses for a day when I'm under the bus.

I avoid pressure cookers though... don't like them. I'd have to add frozen veg and wait a bit. Same pleasant effect though. A good sick day meal with little effort.

***Ohh, And what Kaylee99 said: Egg drop soup!***
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    That works too. I try to keep some good broth frozen for times like that... Freezer room is really limited and I rarely have room for extra carcasses for a day when I'm under the bus.

I avoid pressure cookers though... don't like them. I'd have to add frozen veg and wait a bit. Same pleasant effect though. A good sick day meal with little effort.

***Ohh, And what Kaylee99 said: Egg drop soup!***
    You could oven bake the chicken as well.. it just takes a lot longer to cook, but the effort is about the same.
    Primal since March 2011

jakey is offline Senior Member
    wow, i definitely avoid dairy when i'm flu-ish. broth of any sort is always nice, and i find that scrambled eggs are really easy to digest, and have plenty of vitamins in the yolks.. bananas and white rice should go down well too.

c_bolton12 is offline Member
    Thanks for all the input everyone! I am going to have some chicken and rice soup (I don't usually eat rice so I forget it's an option) and eggs sound amazing. Maybe if I'm hungry later after the soup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast