Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much carb does it take to put on fat? page

toban is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I'm planning a fat gain & loss experiment. For my fat gain phase, I'm going to eat 265g carbs, 100g protein, 40g fat daily. It will be all paleo, so carbs will be from sugary fruit (bananas, raisins, etc). Is this enough carb to cause noticeable fat gain?

Conan Guest

That's only 1,800 calories so unless you are female and weigh 115 pounds, it probably won't cause much weight gain.

Well, part of the plan is to disprove the calorie hypothesis (I've been reading Taubes). I'm a 160 lb male.

Currently I'm eating 1900 calories. I want to drop it for the fat gain phase and up it for the fat loss phase to really drive the point home.

Check this thread for more details on my plan: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-gain-and-loss

Conan Guest

Interesting. I don't think Taubes suggests that high carb Paleo foods cause fat gain. I think he is referring more to grains and processed carbohydrates. However, I like the idea of testing a higher carbohydrate Paleo diet to see if it causes weight gain.

I think you should drop the dates, raisins, and other dried fruits though. I don't have my Paleo book handy but if I remember correctly, dried fruits are not considered to be Paleo compliant.

I'll be very surprised if you gain weight on 1,820 calories a day and Paleo foods but I'm interested to see what happens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of the "carb hypothesis" that carbs, not calories, determine fat accumulation?

From what I understand, carb is carb, whether from fruit or grain (grain will have other bad effects though). 265g of carb a day seems like a lot to me (like 10 bananas!). I guess the real question is, how much carb (& calories) did hunter-gatherers eat in summer to fatten up for winter.

Conan Guest

You can lose weight on a low fat, high carb restricted calorie diet though - tons of studies have shown that. Your experiment looks like a high carb, restricted calorie diet which has been done many, many times before. The only twist is that you are using Paleo foods only. If you really stick to that level of calories, you should actually lose weight especially if you are moderately active.

Thing is, this isn't a low calorie diet. My normal intake is 1885 cal and I'm shooting for 1820 on high-carb, so only a 65 calorie deficit (tiny). Normal diet is a 14 block zone but with 90g carb and 5x (125g) fat. I'm definitely not restricting my appetite, but maybe my calorie estimate is off... in any case, I'm only going 65 calories less than my normal diet.

So, the million dollar question: will fat gain occur when a person switches from 20% to 60% carb calories? (with calorie intake constant)

Conan Guest

Sounds really interesting. Keep us posted on your results.

Was your weight stable on 1,885 calories / day? That just seems a bit low to me for someone who is CrossFitting 4-5 days / week but it might be your sweet spot for weight maintenance.

My calorie estimate is probably off. I'm running some data through fitday and it looks more like 2400-2500 calories (depends on the fattiness of the meat): 130g protein, 170g fat, 85g carb. (Who knew that all my veggies add up to 30g of protein/day!) So my estimate was way off and my caloric intake is pretty normal. Caloric proportions are 20/20/60.

My weight and fat levels have been stable on this diet. It's also likely that calories are lower because it's low carb and hard to eat more calories (I eat a ton of salad). I'm somewhat expecting that when I go high-carb, I'll be feeling hungry for more calories. In that case, I'll adjust the experiment so I don't feel starved (that would at least show that high-carb makes you hungry for more calories).

Conan Guest

Yep, it's a lot easier to eat excess calories when you are eating carbohydrate dense food. The thing that I always tell people is if I put 400 calories worth of pasta in front of you, you could eat all of it and probably want a little more. If I put 400 calories of broccoli in front of you, you wouldn't even get a third of the way through it before you were stuffed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast