Thread: Falling asleep / sleep issues page

evertastica is offline Member

Falling asleep / sleep issues

Shop Now
    Every so often I find it hard to fall asleep, but this past week has been very odd. I'm exhausted at some points in the day, and sometimes at night too but when I'm finally able to go to bed I can't fall asleep for well over an hour.

I typically have pretty long days, and these days haven't been any different. I'm up around 545 for sports practice and then attend college classes, another sports practice, followed by all my homework. I'm usually in bed by 11, I try for earlier but its just life right now. I'm a 20 years old female and I don't have any other health issues. I drink 1 cup of coffee around 8am and didn't affect me before.

In the afternoons I usually get pretty exhausted (2-4pm) but I push through and do what I have to do.
    Any suggestions as to how I can sleep better? I need to get the 5-7 hours I can at night during the week.

I also have started waking up before my alarm (anywhere from 45 to 10min before it...rather annoying because I want to rest.)

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Hi evertastica;

Sounds like you might be having cortisol issues--usually comes from stress over time.
    You may be flirting with adrenal issues as well--forcing your body repeatedly by using coffee etc.
    to keep going when it wants to stop.

Because your 20, it has worked up to now. You may be getting to the point where it no longer is a viable option and you will
    need to cut back on what you are doing and give yourself more down time.

It is impossible for any of us to know all the details of your life, but 5:45-11:00 with two physical practices plus strain of homework, food prep, social life would not really be sustainable for most people.

What can you cut back on?
    I know you want to say "nothing" but if you don't deal with it now, the insomnia may escalate the problem into illness.

I just spent the past three years building back after burning the candle at both ends and it isn't much fun. Too tired to do anything, including exercise, socialize, prepare food etc. so please be careful and at least cut the evening coffee :-)

JVib is offline Senior Member
    I've had sleep issues since my late teens (I'm 42 now). Here are a few suggestions:

Magnesium Citrate supplements (I'm taking 400 - 1000 mg per day)
    No TV, computer, iPad, etc for a hour before bed.
    A white noise generator (a fan works well, just point it away from you if your cold)
    Some kind of "bed time" tea 1-2 hrs before bed.
    Reading fiction or meditating before bed.

If I'm really struggling I take melatonin

However - even with all these things, if I'm under a lot of stress I still have trouble.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    what helps me:

melatonin
    Natural Calm CalMag supplement in powder/drink form
    chamomile tea
    eye mask
    sometimes hot showers before bed helps too

adkatsim is offline Junior Member
    I'm a 21-year-old female in college, and I have the same problem! There are nights that nothing can help, but I've found that I have an easier time sleeping when I've really worked out hard during the day (just walking does not cut it for me) and when I haven't eaten for a couple of hours (at least) before bed. A little alcohol also helps every once in a while :X I haven't tried supplementation, but I've been like this forever too, and it seems like nothing will really fix it unless my schedule changes

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adkatsim View Post
    I'm a 21-year-old female in college, and I have the same problem! There are nights that nothing can help, but I've found that I have an easier time sleeping when I've really worked out hard during the day (just walking does not cut it for me) and when I haven't eaten for a couple of hours (at least) before bed. A little alcohol also helps every once in a while :X I haven't tried supplementation, but I've been like this forever too, and it seems like nothing will really fix it unless my schedule changes
    lol! this sounds like me! it's mostly my schedule that screws me up

JcbyFong is offline Junior Member
    It is impossible for any of us to know all the details of your life