Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm confused. Displace grams of fat for carbs or just fat calories? page

I'm confused. Displace grams of fat for carbs or just fat calories?

Shop Now
    Say I want to eat a 4oz sweet potato everyday. Even on those days when i do very little. Would I just take out some calories from fat, say a tablespoon of olive oil, for the sweet potato? Both are around 120 cals, but the 120 cals of fat from the olive oil come from 14g of fat, whereas the 120 cals from the potato come from 30g of carbs.

not exactly a like for like swap. So should I take out yet more fat grams or is it just the displacement of calories that is needed?

activia is offline Senior Member
    Honestly you shouldnt need to do such ridiculous calculations. But yes no matter what your macros your calories should be in a suitable range depending on your activity level.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Honestly you shouldnt need to do such ridiculous calculations.
    Forgive me if I don't understand, trying to learn here, but I thought I read somewhere that if you increase the carbs, you need to back off the fat?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    basically, it's the calories that count here... but you don't have to agonize over absolute caloric parity between the carbs and the fat, unless you enjoy being really anal. just back off on the amount of added fat a bit, or take a slightly smaller cut of fatty meat with the sweet potato.
    Last edited by jakey; 04-19-2012 at 11:54 AM.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    OP: swap fat for carbs calorie for calorie. It doesn't have to be exact, but that's the right principle. If it's a significant swap you might find you can drop protein a little, as your body won't need to use up so many amino acids for gluconeogenesis, but that's very much context dependent, e.g. if you want to gain muscle then don't drop protein.

What's your motivation for this change?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Forgive me if I don't understand, trying to learn here, but I thought I read somewhere that if you increase the carbs, you need to back off the fat?
    If you increase calories in one area then yes you need to decrease it in an other. Unless you are at a plateau and are trying to lose body fat, obsessing over every ounce of food that you put in your mouth is just going to add stress which will decrease your energy expenditure.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I know that's right

I guess I wasn't thinking about it in terms of calories. I just dont think about calories much anymore, even though I do track it daily but I always have plenty leftover so I wasn't sure what it meant if I were to increase it. I am still trying to keep carbs between 25 - 50.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    OP: swap fat for carbs calorie for calorie. It doesn't have to be exact, but that's the right principle. If it's a significant swap you might find you can drop protein a little, as your body won't need to use up so many amino acids for gluconeogenesis, but that's very much context dependent, e.g. if you want to gain muscle then don't drop protein.

What's your motivation for this change?

The motivation is I love sweet potatoes and want to eat them on a daily basis without gaining fat.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    The motivation is I love sweet potatoes and want to eat them on a daily basis without gaining fat.
    Are you trying to lose weight? If so, have you found it difficult and have needed to tightly control energy intake?

If that's not the case, I'd suggest you are over thinking it and should just enjoy your sweet potato and eat to satiety. Avoid the complexity of the balancing act unless it's really necessary.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepeanutbutterkid View Post
    That sounds like good motivation to me

I bet you'll feel better for it too!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast