Thread: changing up the workout for the summer... page

not on the rug is online now Senior Member

changing up the workout for the summer...

Primal Fuel
    i'm thinking about changing my routine up a bit for the summer, and just wanted a little feedback. i typically do a push/pull split, based on bench/pushups/shoulder presses/shrugs/squat/deadlifts/pullups, etc... and i work in the 4-6 rep range. then i add in a day or 2 of random stuff like strongman style training, crossfit-styled workouts, or even a p90x or rushfit dvd. well, now that the weather is getting nice, i'm thinking of changing it up a little bit. i will surely be jogging once a week, definitely mountain biking once or twice a week, and looking to be outside as much as possible. i was thinking about focusing most of my work on crossfit-styled, met-con work, mixed with the strongman stuff, with a little more of a bodybuilding focused weight lifting plan. kinda like designing a circuit of tire flips, rope climbs, pushup variations, thrusters and sprints that i can do twice a week, and maybe some compound and isolation exercises that i'll do in the 10 rep range. the idea is to get super lean for the summer (vanity is a bitch, and i like to show the full sixer during beach season), while maintaining as much strength as possible (i know i'll lose some). i already know my cardio will improve just because of the increased jogging and biking.

the only other suggestion that someone mentioned would be some sort of loaded carry. zercher walks, farmers walks, etc.

what do you guys think?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    at all familiar with leangains.com? if you're looking to keep the strength it may be your best bet, on the downside, he does NOT advocate you do 90% of what you posted if retaining muscle AND lose fat is your goal.

Intermittent Fasting for Strength Training and Fat Loss - Part Two - Page 37 - Bodybuilding.com Forums

for folks looking to avoid opening extra pages at work:

Martin of Leangains posted on that thread (in response to someone who summarized leangains for another poster), here's what he said:

"Summary:
    If you do cardio go for low intensity and short periods in a fasted state.
    Don't do cardio after lifting
    Don't do high impact/moderate or high intensity cardio which may impact your recoverability.
    If you really want to save muscle mass, it's best to not do cardio at all.

I do cardio once or twice a week on my off days. It's usually moderate intensity HIIT style (muay thai with a heavy bag, or mountain biking). I do it because its fun and keeps up my cardio for sports and maintains my skills.

Nice job finding all those quotes. Your summary is mostly on point. Perhaps with the exception of the last sentence. It has not been my experience that low intensity cardio on rest days (i.e. 4x/week, <45-60 min/day) has any compromising effect (at all) on strength or muscle retention during dieting.

There's a few reasons for this.

1. Walking does not affect AMPK (which blunts muscle protein synthesis).

Moderate to intense cardio does. Prolonged cardio, i.e. jogging at a good pace for >30 min has the most detrimental effect in this regard.

2. Walking does not stress the CNS. You're saving your nervous system (strength) and performance for the weights, which is crucial for muscle gains and muscle retention. HIIT is very stressful for the CNS. An all out sprint (i.e. HIIT done right) is not so different from a set of 3-4RM squats.

Lifting at a suboptimal capacity starts a downward spiral in my experience. If your nervous system cannot keep up with what your muscles can lift, muscle loss happens as a consequence of never being able to apply adequate stress/perform optimally.

3. Cardio - HIIT in particular - tears up muscle fibers and require repair and recovery, just like a set of squats.

If you're adding 2-3 sessions of HIIT to your 3 sessions of weights, it is almost comparable to adding 2-3 days of weights. Keyword is "almost", I'm obviously not drawing direct comparisons. That's all fine and dandy if you think working out 5-6 days/week is a good idea on a diet. But I don't think anyone - no matter what level of experience - needs more than 3 days a week in the gym when cutting. (Yes, this goes for competitors and beginners alike.)

In conclusion, if conditioning is not terribly important for you, if your goal is really about getting shredded while keeping your muscle, I highly suggest limiting moderate to high intensity cardio on a diet - or ditch it completely. Save it for some other time when your recovery is good and not limited by your diet.

A calorie deficit is a recovery deficit. Avoid deficit spending."

i am familiar with the leangains approach. what i'm trying to do here is increase the HIT stuff, and basically get the most bang out of my buck in terms of working out with minimal equipment and working out outside. i have always mountain biked and always will, so i'm not going to limit that. as far as jogging goes, i really will never do it more than once a week, and that's only for 2.5 miles. so i'm not like a chronic cardio nut or anything. i'm not planning on limiting my calories or changing my diet up in any way shape or form, just changing the type of exercise i am doing by switchiing to some more met-con and hit based workouts. i'm basically just at my "winter weight" (5-8) lbs more bodyfat than my "summer weight" which i usually have a nice 6 pack. i hate to say it, but the change is basically because i'm bored and because of vanity. i lift heavy all winter, and just like a change. i usually make a switch to a program like this in the summertime anyway. i'm not looking for 5-6 days of workouts though. 4, maybe 5 tops. 2 circuits/2 weights/1 long bike ride. the jog and any other biking would be short and more or less used as a warmup for the real workout

bdfink is offline Member
    I am not too familiar with the strongman type training but I thought I’d comment on the diet. I stole the below link from a post on the MDA site by Mr. Sisson earlier this week. I've followed the Leangains routine on two occasions in the last two weeks and I definitely recommend giving it a try. The following day I’ve felt/looked much leaner in the torso area. The Abs seemed to be much more defined than on regular days. Working out/getting through the workday in a fasted state isn’t too difficult. I turn it into a fun challenge with myself. Kind of like a tough workout, just test myself to see what I can do. The entire Fasting series by Mr. Sisson has been really interesting. I recommend reading the posts. I feel like this would be an easy way to drop the winter weight.

How to Implement Fasting | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

basically, my diet is spot on. and i IF twice a week. i'v been paleo for years now, so none of this stuff is new to me. i'm not looking to alter my diet at all. just looking to see if anyone out there has any other exercise ideas to mix in to what i plan on doing. and like i've already said, this is a few vanity pounds. basically getting a winter 2/4 pack back to my usual summer 6 pack. again, i'm just lookingfor some new/creative ideas to work in to my workouts, that's all

bdfink is offline Member
    Nice! Hopefully you get a few good ideas.