Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF and breakfast page

jtrain_36 is offline Member

IF and breakfast

Shop Now
    I've been trying IF for a few weeks now, just eating when I'm hungry and not eating when I'm not. However I have difficulty skipping breakfast no matter how hungry or not hungry I feel at the time. It's just such an easy way to get high amounts of fat with little carbs, I don't like missing out on that prime opportunity. Anyone have any suggestions?

By the way, I'm in a college dorm so just eating breakfast food for supper isn't really an option.

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    Could you change your mentality to skipping dinner or just eating it early? Like having a big breakfast and then an early dinner. Then you will fast from early dinner until breakfast the next morning. So your fast starts in the evening..

So it'd be more two meals a day? I was trying to go with the 6 hour eating window, does that window need to be at night? Or can a 7 am to 1 pm eating window work?

rccrsphil is offline Senior Member
    I think you can block off anytime that you wish. IF is really personal to each individual. If I was going to do a longer IF, I would eat dinner and not eat dinner until the next day. Seems to work for me. However, I do change it up and keep the body guessing. Sometimes I eat an early breakfast and eat a late dinner. Just depends on my mood and what my body is telling me. Good luck on nailing down something that works for you.
    Primal Journal of a Filipino Cherokee Grok
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53103.html

SAD weight: 250
    Current Primal weight: 183.2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    People who make up these plans just assume that dinner is the meal that most people are unwilling to give up. There's no reason you have to make your eating window at night. Lots of times when I IF I do it by skipping dinner. This is easier for me because I go play at a jam session on that night, so I'm out of the house doing something fun all evening and don't have to worry about anybody at home expecting dinner. But then other times I will IF by pushing breakfast forward to lunch hours. Whatever's easiest. I like Mark's recent blog topic about this where he says to just eat WHEN. When Hunger Ensues Naturally. So to apply that to IF I just IF when fasting ensues naturally.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

I understand the only eating when hungry part of things, but I've only been Primal for about a month or so. I'm not quite able to do that and I feel like I'm still programmed to eat when it's meal time. Obviously my goal is to get there eventually but as for right now I feel the need to plan my IF so that it is easier to stick to. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I routinely have eggs and bacon for lunch....there are no rules that state "though shalt not have an omelet for dinner".

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Don't IF. I mean, IFing certainly isn't mandatory, nor does it make you "more primal"

If you like breakfast, by all means eat it! Same goes for lunch and dinner. Unless you have a reason to IF, why bother? (Reason could be anything from perceived health benefit, accelerated weight loss, your dog told you to, etc).

I IF for two reasons.

1. I'm just not hungry in the morning, so even before hearing about IFing, I would eat maybe 2 breakfasts a year.
    2. Past month I decided to try LeanGains protocol because I want to shrink my waist from 34 to 32. I'll give it another month or too to see if it works, but... I don't eat breakfast anyway. Only thing I had to change was not having a glass of wine or snack after 8pm.

--Me

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I routinely have eggs and bacon for lunch....there are no rules that state "though shalt not have an omelet for dinner".
    I wish I could, but eating at a college dorm makes that kinda difficult. I wish I could though, that'd be an easy solution.

Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    Don't IF. I mean, IFing certainly isn't mandatory, nor does it make you "more primal"

If you like breakfast, by all means eat it! Same goes for lunch and dinner. Unless you have a reason to IF, why bother? (Reason could be anything from perceived health benefit, accelerated weight loss, your dog told you to, etc).

I IF for two reasons.

1. I'm just not hungry in the morning, so even before hearing about IFing, I would eat maybe 2 breakfasts a year.
    2. Past month I decided to try LeanGains protocol because I want to shrink my waist from 34 to 32. I'll give it another month or too to see if it works, but... I don't eat breakfast anyway. Only thing I had to change was not having a glass of wine or snack after 8pm.

--Me
    Yeah I want to IF to shake some pesky BF%. I just see mornings as a great time to get high fat low carb meals with eggs and bacon and since I can't have those foods for lunch being in a dorm at all it makes me want to eat breakfast even if I'm not hungry. Today and for the foreseeable future I'm going to see about eating from 7-1 and fasting the other 18 hours to see how that goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast