Thread: Should I tweak my diet more? Feedback much appreciated! page

bchanel is offline Member

Should I tweak my diet more? Feedback much appreciated!

First of all, thank you so much on all the feedback I've been receiving in the other forums I posted. I have had so many questions and this community has been so awesome in helping me out!

I have officially been doing the 30 Day Challenge for three days now (woo!), but have pretty much been eating the same for a couple of weeks with the inclusion of feta cheese,Greek yogurt and some brown rice. Here is what I have been eating the past few days.

I currently weigh about 159 and I want to lose about 20-25 pounds.

Day 1 of 30 day challenge
    Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs and approximately 1/4 cup almonds, coffee with cinnamon
    Lunch: ( not ideal, but crazy day) 2 cups spinach, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1.5 scoops whey protein and 1 T coconut oil all blended with ice and water
    Dinner: ground turkey with onions and peppers, salsa, 1/2 avocado, romaine lettuce, mushrooms and a tablespoon of almond butter

Day 2 of 30 day challenge
    I forgot to write my beginning weight yesterday: 160
    Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, 1 cup strawberries, 1/4 cup almonds, coffee with cinnamon
    Lunch: ground turkey with onions and peppers, salsa, romaine lettuce, 1/2 avocado
    Dinner: chopped brisket, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, pepperoncini

Day 3 of 30 day challenge
    7:00 a.m. coffee with coconut oil and cinnamon
    9:45 a.m. 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 cup strawberries, 1/4 cup almonds
    1:30 p.m. ground turkey with onions and peppers, salsa, romaine lettuce. 1/2 avocado
    6:00 p.m. Dijon chicken breasted made with lemon juice, garlic and Dijon mustard, green beans with a dab of butter and bacon, and a huge salad with spring mix, cucumbers, mushrooms, grape tomatoes and homemade balsamic viniagrette

I'm estimating I've been eating around 1,200-1,300 calories a day, but I'm not sure. I know my carbs have been around 60 grams a day. I do know that I eat when I'm hungry and I don't when I'm full. I also drink a gallon of water a day...for the only reason that my skin looks great when I do this.

For exercising, I have a couple DVDs I like to do (i.e. Tae Bo, Jillian Michaels Killer Buns and Thighs) and I also go on brisk walks with occasional sprints. The DVDs help a lot, because I have trouble making myself do something; I need to tell myself what to do! I love them because they definitely make me feel the burn (lots of squats, lunges, etc.)

My question is, should I tweak anything in my diet? I've been thinking about cutting out the fruit and nuts for a bit. I have stalled since I started working out heavier and cutting carbs and I don't like it! I'm a self-admitted scale addict, although I've cut it down from a few times a day to a few times a week. I know I haven't been working out long enough to gain muscle, yet I've "read" (CW stuff) that says I will initially gain weight because of water gain or something. I don't know.

I didn't know whether to place this in the nutrition or fitness folder, but I figured nutrition is the main component. Anyways, thanks so much for any insight!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, always experiment and tweak.

You might cut back to half a cup of strawberries.

It seems like you are trying to do low fat. Try getting more saturated fat - more butter and fatter cuts of meat. IMHO saturated fat tells your paleolithic body, "Hunting is good! No need to store fat."

Good luck!
    Last edited by Hedonist2; 04-19-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Looks like a heavy reliance on lean meats. I would definitely mix in some fattier cuts preferably slow cooked with the bone in to extract all the nutritious goodness. Your weight can fluctuate quite a bit just by water weight. I wouldn't worry about weight until at least a few weeks in.

bchanel is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks to both of you! The turkey is 85/15 that I found in the back of my freezer. It has about 17 g fat and 240 calories per 4 ounces. I bought it when I was trying to do low fat, but it wasn't low fat "enough" at the time. I plan to replace things like that with beef in the future.