Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal = sick :( page

muk
    muk is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I decided I needed a change of diet. My normal breakfast was 2 fried burritos, 1 pizza pocket, and a rockstar from a local gas station on the way to work. Lunch would be fast food. A big mac meal with an extra big mac and large fries and soda was an average lunch. Dinner I wouldn't be too hungry but may have something small. I'm not too heavy. I'm 5'10 @ 198lbs. I work at a large box retailer and my normal walk is a quick pace. I also talk fast. I work 9 hours a day and am constantly lifting, moving, or stocking heavy items. I work with tile, vinyl, wood, and carpet flooring. I'm deffenitly not lazy.

I started PB night before last. For dinner I had roughly 4oz of tritip, about 2 cups of romain lettuce with some carrots, vinegarette dressing, and a half of a lime. The next morning I had 3 eggs fried in a little butter and a green apple. Lunch was about 5oz of tritip, 3 baby carrots, half lime, few bites of romain in a vinegarette, and some raisins. Dinner I had some shredded chicken in a homemade primal enchillada sauce, an apple, and dome raisins.

The first morning I felt great. Only got about 5 hours sleep but felt good for that matter. I started work at 7am. By 10:30am, I had a headache and felt a little warm. I had lunch at 11:15am and cooled off and headache felt slightly better. My lunch ended about 12:00pm and around 12:45pm, the headache was back and stronger. All thru that day and until this morning I had the headache. I finally couldn't take it and bought 2 small chicken burritos and an orange juice this morning and I've felt great all day.. My question is, what was the headache all about? I need to read more of the book, I'm about a third the way thru. I'm thinking maybe my sugar levels or calories were low? I'm very active and am guessing I didn't configure my meals correctly. Any help would be appreciated :-)

hannahc is offline Senior Member

That's what we affectionately call the "low-carb flu". Your body has to adjust from using glucose (sugar) as fuel to using fat as fuel. For some people it's an easy transition, and for others it can take days and even weeks to switch over. Once you do though, it's so much better. Just tough it out the first few days, you'll be really glad you did!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

muk

I was really drowsy as well. Sure I wasn't cutting my self short on calories or sugars?

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

Calories don't matter as much at this point, as the qty of sugar you had daily. From your description, you had about 500-600 grams of carbs daily.

Getting down to 150 abruptly wont make an easy transition, the way you did. But that's a way too. If you are strong, you can go through the headaches and keep it up for a while until you're body get adapted to the new fat consumption

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Remember, it's not like climbing Mount Everest, it's very doable!

muk

Is there a good place to lookup nutrition info on foods?

fitday.com and twofoods.com

muk

I appreciate your time both of you going to have my salad for dinner. I have the weekend off so I can sleep off headaches. Another question tho, with as hard as I work at my job, if I don't have calories, what will my body do to keep up with my energy use?

Burn Fat. Then you will start eating fatty things. Fat has more energy (more than double) than carbs.

Griff is offline Senior Member

muk: Eat _lots_ of fat. Your ratios should be about 70-80% of your daily calories from fat and the rest from protein, with minimal (20g or lower) carbs if you're doing this for weight loss. The low-carb flu passes faster if you go as low-carb as possible for a few days; your body is actually kicking an addiction right now. Best of luck!

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

jacsuza is offline Member

I think that I had that "low-carb flu" today too. I've been doing pretty well, having eliminated pretty much all grains and only using the barest minimum of sugar to take the edge of my morning coffee. However, I didn't pack a great lunch today and I got that hunger headache around lunch time. Unfortunately I solved it by going across the street to Burger King. My bad. Back to Primal tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast