Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Berkhan on accepting responsibility page 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I thought it was stupid. Sorry. I can't get on board with this new paleo "all you fatties are fat because you are lazy sloths who eat too much" argument. It's bro-science he's selling.
    It kind of has to start that way though, right? Once your metabolism is broken though, that's when consuming less 'calories' via CW especially, and trying to 'spend more calories' becomes troublesome... but in the beginning, isn't that how people gain weight? eating too much, moving too little? I'm intimately aware of how foods paleos avoid 'cause' obesity or make it easier to hold on to weight, etc, but it does still go back to eating too much in general..

from the article: Grown men and women take responsibility for their lives and actions. They do not blame a life of excess on some trivial aspect of their diet. A diet that on the whole consisted of refined foods, rich in both carbs and fat, often combined with a sedentary lifestyle: that's how I got fat. I loved food and I liked to sit on my butt and play videogames. It was an enjoyable lifestyle and I had a lot of fun. I'm very typical in that regard. People get fat by giving in to pleasure in the form of food and entertainment. It's not more complicated than that. Be wary of anyone who tries to make you believe that it is.

He never says "you're fat even on a whole-foods diet because you're a sloth" he clearly is partially 'blaming' refined sugars, et al. for obesity, but he's also saying "we should be smarter than this" and change our diets accordingly.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I can't get on board with this new paleo "all you fatties are fat because you are lazy sloths who eat too much" argument.
    I don't think that is exactly the sentiment. There are very few people here who are fat that did not get that way by eating too much/moving too little. There are a few exceptions- which he accepts and admits. Most Americans are not fat because they eat bananas. Or because they are iodine deficient. Most are fat because they eat too much food. You can't eat SAD and lose weight because you take an iodine supp or don't eat a banana. And you can't expect to lose weight by eating unlimited amounts of fat because you cut carbs. Probably 90% of us gain weight because we eat to much and do too little. For that 90%, tweaks and supplements don't make much difference.

Kai-man is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    It was only a few hundred years ago folks were not getting on board with the "Earth is not flat" arguments either...
    Actually, people never thought the earth was flat
    That's a one of the first urban legends.

See
    - the ancient greeks who calculated the earth's circumference
    - Columbus, who was not afraid of falling off the earth
    - Globus cruciger - held by kings of old, symbolizing the church's dominion over the, spherical, world

Myth of the Flat Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...just a side note :-)

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Lol....are you serious? How many times does it have to be said. Nobody disputes any laws of thermodynamics. There is just a whole hell of a lot more to consider than calories in/calories out ESPECIALLY in body composition and health status. There really is no argument. You can change your BMR with the foods you eat. Hormonal reactions change how energy is utilized. That is the rub.
    If you truly think that nobody disputes the laws of thermodynamics then read through more of the threads on these very boards. Some very scary ideas floating about...also, be careful with the "changing your BMR with the foods you eat" because you are approaching "metabolic advantage" territory...

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-man View Post

See
    - Globus cruciger - held by kings of old, symbolizing the church's dominion over the, spherical, world

Well played, Kai-man. I love it!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    +1. Last week I caught myself envying fat people because they can eat a chocolate bar. Like a whole chocolate bar. Even a complete not good for you at all chocolate bar like Caramilk. They can eat a pastry... Just like that. All by themselves. In one sitting. And not even have a second fleeting thought about it.
    Ignorance is bliss.

But I also think a lot of people here beat themselves up about doing something like you witnessed, a little too much. Clearly nobody is advocating that you do the above CONSTANTLY, but seriously people, once in a blue moon it's REALLY not going to kill you. It really won't, try it. Just don't let yourself go CRAZY. I read so many people here saying "oh nos! if I even smell a cookie I end up looting a Dairy Queen and sending myself into a sugar coma!" exercise a little will power. I am not much of a candy eater or a sweets guy (my achilles heel is salty/fried/fatty) but every now and then I eat a buttload of ice cream and nothing bad happens.

It's so refreshing to have this knowledge but not let it FREAK ME THE FUCK OUT... which is what I see here all the time. I'm not talking just to you Leida, because I feel more than half the board is like this.

Those are the same type of people that will read this and think I'm undermining their efforts, forgetting about their history, or calling them slobs, etc. I'm not, chill.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 04-19-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Well played, Kai-man. I love it!
    lol....must admit that I have never looked this sort of thing up. Just assumed it true, and you know what they say about assumptions.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I see a lot of people who are struggling post decent looking diets. Maybe a scootch high in calories. But then a few posts down "well, I have to have my daily wine" or "I do enjoy cookies" or "Oh, I also make primal cookies" or "I have a (500 calorie) smoothie" or ... "I snack on nuts too". Yeah- its all good stuff, but at some point ya gotta control/cut back if you are not seeing the results.

I agree with Inquity. You can have the occasional treat- but treats become habit- you are eating to much. The beauty of primal/whole foods (for weightloss) is that you feel nourished and satisfied and can keep treats and snacks minimal. And over time, you can have some ice cream and it doesn't set off a chain reaction. But you can't have daily wine, occasional ice cream, nuts for snacks, smoothies and eat regular primal meals and expect to lose weight.

Voyageur is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-man View Post

See

*sounds of DFH choking on a Sausage McMuffin somewhere....*

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    How many times does it have to be said. Nobody disputes any laws of thermodynamics. There is just a whole hell of a lot more to consider than calories in/calories out ESPECIALLY in body composition and health status. There really is no argument. You can change your BMR with the foods you eat. Hormonal reactions change how energy is utilized. That is the rub.
    Apparently, it doesn't matter how many times it's said, certain people refuse to understand that calories out is not independent of the TYPE and QUALITY of calories in.

It's not just BMR either. Your energy levels impact how much you just plain move around in general. You simply can't control the two variables independently of one another.

To reiterate/expand/give my take on what Neckhammer said: Calories in - calories out is valid, but changing the quantity and quality of calories in changes the number of calories out. You simply can't control both factors.

Solution: Eat in a way that gives you the most energy and satiety. (Hint: Macros matter, fructose matters, butter is good for you)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast