Thread: Weight lifting at home - help building a program page

jmosery is offline Member

Weight lifting at home - help building a program

Primal Fuel
    Wondering if maybe someone can guide me to setting up a list or program at home

I've been lifting with the Firm and Cathe DVDs for the past couple of years and I'm getting bored

I have a bench, barbell, lots of steps, dumbbells

But ive never lifted without a DVD

Don't know what to do , how many reps, exc..

Anyone know a good place to learn? Set a program up?

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength or Strong Lifts. Easy, effective, and will make you stronger. Your job will just be to track weights, and constantly get stronger.

--Me

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I agree with adamm. The only problem without a squat rack or power cage squats will difficult. Until you get it sorted substitute dead-lifts and weighted lunges OR foll Convict Conditioning or PBF and work up to a one legged squat.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

9 out of 10 people will tell you that low sets and low reps build bulk (3x3 or 3x5), whereas high sets, high reps (4x10, 4x12) build endurance, stamina, and will make you more toned. So it depends on what you want to accomplish.
    I've got to run before that 1 person comes to disagree with me and tell me machines is where it's at...

*slams door*
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    9 out of 10 people will tell you that low sets and low reps build bulk (3x3 or 3x5), whereas high sets, high reps (4x10, 4x12) build endurance, stamina, and will make you more toned. So it depends on what you want to accomplish.
    I've got to run before that 1 person comes to disagree with me and tell me machines is where it's at...

*slams door*
    (yells) "machines is where it's at!!!" j/k

I started with 5x5 then morphed into a leangains style reverse pyramid training. To me, simplicity is the key. No more than 3 times a week, no more than 3 exercises a workout. I still concentrate on the big lifts first with some accessory work afterwards.
    I make sure I write everything down too. It's important to know what you did and where you're headed.

I have a 4 day cycle with 1-2 days rest (in between workouts) depending on how i feel:
    1. Squat, Rows, Hyper Extensions
    2. Weighted Chins, Bench, some sort core usually just plank for 3 minutes
    3. Deads, Shrugs, Skull Crushers or Dips
    4. Shoulder Press, Straight bar curl, calves
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 04-19-2012 at 11:31 AM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    And these 9 out of 10 people are wrong. Toned needs to be erased from the fitness vernacular. It's a myth. You're either muscular or not and you're either lean or not. You cannot spot-reduce fat by "toning" with a thighmaster or whatever or by doing tons of repetitions of an exercise with a low amount of weight.

And strength is built by lifting heavy weights. 5x5 tends to be the reps/sets recommendation of all the well-known, highly recommended, protocols for beginners. Once you accomplish a basic level of strength and decide to specialize, you will find that strength/power is built with heavy weights and lower reps whereas bodybuilder physiques are built on a mixture, but a lot more higher reps with lower weights. Mark did a post about the difference between myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy a while back. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    And these 9 out of 10 people are wrong.
    Do you go by #1, Mr. #1, uno, or what?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Do you go by #1, Mr. #1, uno, or what?
    Not trying to be a jerk or know it all. I'm just saying it is indeed commonly misunderstood that way. For most of us (myself included), it doesn't matter, we aren't big or strong enough to need to deviate too much from the Stronglifts/Starting Strength/type of protocols if we want to maximize our results in both strength and composition gains.

That's cool. Toned is more of an end result of losing the fat over the muscles. I've seen big dudes that were super strong but they didn't look like it because they had a big layer of fat all over them. I've seen little dudes that had veins popping out all over their arms that weren't all that strong, but they looked like they were because of their muscle tone. So I'm looking at the high reps as more cardio I guess, but you could do it either way, I reckon.