Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tabata Pain page

Animus is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

So, I tried Tabata Sprints for the first time yesterday Ė good lord, the pain!

I feel like I performed very well, as I was doing the back-and-forth approach to gauge my performance on running back to where I started

But afterward I felt like my eardrums wanted to burst, and that my teeth were being pulled out of my gums.

My jaw felt sore, and I couldít take full, deep, breathes until about 10 minutes after I was done.

Iím ok now, but just curious if this sort of sensation is normal.

Iíve been doing Primal for a good 5-6 months now, and love it, but Iíve hit a plateau with my physique.

Iím in great shape - and have leaned up noticeably since starting the PB - but I want to cut up and and be more lean, so Iím thinking of upping my sprints to 2-3 times a week Ė so this felt like the optimal way to do it.

Iíve also not incorporated the heavy lifting into my lifestyle yet Ė but I do spend a lot of time training Muay Thai and conditioning for that. Which is why I find it hard to find more time for heavy lifting.

Perhaps my not lifting heavy weights it contributing to this plateau as well?

I don't quite think it is the reason, as I have the muscle to show, but just want to trim a bit more fat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

Yeah, I haven't tried the Tabata method with sprints yet, but I did them with light weights/squats and... ugh... the next day I felt like I'd been beaten with a baseball bat. After a week of doing them 3x a week I felt like I'd been beaten with a lead pipe LOL.

Rest, recovery, epsom salt bath, repeat... and if you're doing Muy Thai, then some dit dat jow wouldn't kill ya either... (chinese martial arts linament, 10000x better than tiger balm.)

Brewtality Guest

I did Tabata pushups, and squats (50lbs). Ouuuuch! I have not worked out since I did. That was 6 days ago. I took me a long time to recover.

I did Tabata sprints weekly for 2 years previously, and I can say that what you are feeling is normal. It never gets less painful. You just get faster. Thats kind of the whole point, as your fitness level increases, you just up the intensity.

Def don't sprint 2-3 times a week. Its too much. You will get fatigue fractures in your chins. It happened to me back then, and took almost 6 months to fully recover ( http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...fractures.html ) If you are plateauing, stop sprinting and do another type of exercise for a week or two. Walking, squats, weight trainging, whatever, just something else... it will give those muscles a little time to adjust. You will come back stronger and better for it.

Brewtality Guest

Oooh, just noticed your a Muy Thai guy. That not sprinting 2-3 times a week goes double for you. Your shins (misspelled it before) take a pounding in training. I was into martial arts when I had it happen to me too. One good block to my kick started a minor crack, and the sprints just enlarged the crack a tiny bit each week. It was getting reinjured faster than it could heal, and eventually hurt so bad, I couldnt keep going.

Remember rule #9 avoid stupid mistakes... they lead to injury, and that leads to comprimised health.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Animus,

It is my belief that sprints are SUPPOSED to hurt. You just learn to love the feeling....

But I'm concerned about the severe jaw pain. I'm not a doctor, but when I hear severe shoulder or jaw pain with exercise I start wondering about something like angina...have you ever had that before?

If it persists, ya might want to go do a quick stress test...

Jon Haas is offline Junior Member

Remember that the Tabata Protocol was developed for use with elite athletes. This doesn't mean you should avoid it, but definitely moderate the level of intensity, especially when just starting out. Incremental progression is key to success. If you look at intensity on a scale of 1 to 10 you should probably hover around a 6-7 when starting out with Tabata. Allow your body to get used to the intensity, and then rachet it up. Oh yeah, rest, recovery, restoration are indespensible.

Hope this helps,

Jon Haas

www.warriorfitness.org

verdilak is offline Member

I know when I do Tabata Sprints I feel it all over my body and therefore I do only 2 min of sprints (I am still heavy in the weight department), but if you are getting those sorts of pain, I would agree with those posted above and either get it checked out, lower the intensity, or wait longer between sprints.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Godzilla is offline Senior Member

Tabata torture seems to be a recurring theme in the forum. Perhaps we need an omni post by Mark on the subject.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-first-time%29

Godzilla is offline Senior Member

Here's a good post from a new web site. It's free:

Was Tabata Wrong?

http://mymadmethods.com/articles/con...ata-gone-wrong

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I've never done Tabata intervals. I'm very out of shape. I've been doing Al Sears's PACE program on and off, which is probably a little close to what Mark means by "sprinting." There are a few different ways to approach it, but basically he says to bring your heart rate way up as quickly as you can, then go very easy until it recovers, then do it again. Never do it for more than 20 minutes total. As you get fitter, your recovery rate will improve, and you will also be able to get your heart rate up quicker. So you can say that as you get fitter you'll be doing more sprints, but shorter sprints. Make sense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast