Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the consequences of a minor milk allergy? Should I just drink it? page

AMonkey is offline Senior Member

What are the consequences of a minor milk allergy? Should I just drink it?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, I seem to be mildly milk/lactose intolerant. A few months ago I tested this by consumed a variety of milks (whole, skimmed, non homogenised), over a period of days and all I can remember is terrible gas and concluding I was milk intolerant. Yesterday I drink a litre of goats milk, within 10 minutes, on an empty stomach which made me feel slightly nauseous and mildly gassy. If I drink a 82% protein whey drink (with banana and water) it gives me moderate gas but no other symptoms.

So the reason I'm asking is because I'm doing weight lifting again and its pretty imperative I get that 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight. But non dairy sources of protein are significantly more expensive and less convenient, and I'm currently struggling to hit the protein target. Thus I'm wondering if I should just drink a litre of milk a day in addition to a protein heavy breakfast, lunch and dinner just to get some more protein and calories.

My problem comes with the potentially ill health effects though. I can deal with gas and nausea but if a drinking milk on a milk allergy leads to long term health problems, I wouldn't do it.

So what do you think?

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    Are you asking us to decide if you should spend less money but have more gas, or have less gas but not spend as much money to get your protein needs? Shouldn't that be up to you?

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    Go to the drugstore, and get lactase tablets. Stick to goat milk. Don't drink it out-of-the-fridge cold and do drink it after a meal.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    So, I seem to be mildly milk/lactose intolerant. [...] its pretty imperative I get that 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight. But non dairy sources of protein are significantly more expensive and less convenient, and I'm currently struggling to hit the protein target. Thus I'm wondering if I should just drink a litre of milk a day [...]

So what do you think?
    Can't you just drink cream instead? Or eat something else, if you don't like milk? Besides, you aren't a calf or a pig. There have to be better sources of nutrition for you than masses of milk that you don't even like and think you are allergic to. How about lamb?
    Last edited by billp; 04-19-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you have a lactose intolerance, why do you continue drinking milk? There are so many other sources of protein...
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Milk's the worse form of dairy for lactose.

Mature goat's cheese is low in lactose. You might find you tolerate that well enough in small quantities. e.g. try adding 20 g to an omelette or to a meat dish. As a minor component to a meal you will tolerate it better ... alternatively eat a chunk after a meal as a 'desert'.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

skink531 is online now Senior Member
    Plenty of people are able to reach the 1 gram per pound without milk, and something like tuna is pretty cheap. 3 oz. can of tuna = 18 g. of protein.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    Ummmm, maybe drinking less. You seem to be drinking a large quantity then wondering why there's a reaction....

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalkyle View Post
    Are you asking us to decide if you should spend less money but have more gas, or have less gas but not spend as much money to get your protein needs? Shouldn't that be up to you?
    I'm asking if consuming milk with a mild milk allergy would lead to long term health problems.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Why not just use a protein powder (in water or some other liquid that's not milk)? Drinking milk would also be a lot of carbs and sugar, not sure if you're concerned about that.

I don't know for certain, but I would imagine that stressing your body by exposing it to something you cannot process would be damaging. See Standard American Diet for details.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast