Thread: Is fat enough for my fitness? page

yakfisho is offline Junior Member

Is fat enough for my fitness?

Shop Now
    Just fishing for some advise on whether I'm giving myself enough energy without any carbs. I'm still working out what I can and can't eat, but it seems at this point that all grains and even fruit are out as I suspect I suffer from fructose malabsorption. I get bad bloating and it makes me tired when I eat the wrong stuff. So that only leaves me with meat, veg (certain ones), fish, oils, and that's about it.

I want to look and be fit with lean toned muscle, not body builder bulky but not cyclist skinny either (I'm part of the way there). Just wondering on this typical workout regime, whether I can get by on this diet

* I cross country mountain bike 4 days a week for around an hour going between a flatout and moderate pace.
    * I do at least one strength training sesh a week (and want to do more) involving pullups, pushups, core, some weights and I push myself pretty hard for about 30 - 40 mins
    * I do a bit of yoga (jivamuktu), at least 10 mins a day.

I've only been doing this diet for about 3 weeks and already I've dropped 4kg (not really a goal) and I haven't even been able to do my normal routine because of reasons I wont go into. I've tried 1 full-on strength sesh and I felt like I was going to pass out (but my body is probably still adapting to the lack of carbs).

I'm 5'7'' and now weigh 64kgs down from 68. I already looked pretty lean before I started, body fat has never been an issue for me.

Is fat enough? I thought I'd been giving myself a fair bit, but the weight just keeps going down. Hopefully it is otherwsie I may have to change my fitness goals, because I'm so over the bloating and fatigue it's not funny!

Thanks

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    So why no carbs?

Sweet potatoes are sent from heaven you know.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    it is for me, but you may need something like sweet potato. See how you feel.

I'm beginning to suspect fructose malabsorbtion as an issue. My bloating probs have dropped heaps since giving up rice, wheat, potatoes etc, which I used to eat heaps of. I'm still working out what does and does no affect me, though, but most FM sites mention a lot of those great sources of carbs as foods to avoid. It's not carbs in general I'm avoiding as carbs are in foods I do eat and am ok with, it's just certain sources of it I'm avoiding - Grains, legumes, some root vegies etc

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    It should be once your well adapted. Just make sure your getting enough overall calories, salt your food/drink bone broth....ect. This fella does comparable work to what your talking about The interplay of exercise and ketosis and here The interplay of exercise and ketosis Gives a pretty good breakdown of what gets better and what don't on high fat low carb while exercising.

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    There's not a whole lot of fructose in rice, potatoes, wheat... not saying they don't cause you issues, but fructose is not the culprit in these three.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    there's no need to be in ketosis. your body will get used to burning fat as a primary fuel source rather quickly, assuming that you don't push it to ketosis, which has a longer adaptation point.

given your weight and your activity level, why would you want to keep going like you are now, if it feels like crap after three weeks? eat starchy tubers and fruits. you'll get carbs enough to replenish glycogen and perform at a high level, and you'll still be burning fat as your main fuel source.

the ketosis or nothing crowd pisses me off. it doesn't work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    there's no need to be in ketosis. your body will get used to burning fat as a primary fuel source rather quickly, assuming that you don't push it to ketosis, which has a longer adaptation point.

given your weight and your activity level, why would you want to keep going like you are now, if it feels like crap after three weeks? eat starchy tubers and fruits. you'll get carbs enough to replenish glycogen and perform at a high level, and you'll still be burning fat as your main fuel source.

the ketosis or nothing crowd pisses me off. it doesn't work that way.
    No, my point is that high carb foods cause me digestion problems. Eg grains fruits some veg. This is the only reason I dont want to eat them. I'm not even entirely sure what ketosis is so its not something i'm aiming towards, but maybe incidently I am. My question is can I get enough energy without these high carb foods with fat as a substitute, because I cannot eat those things without suffering a lot of discomfort. Priority is fixing my gut at this point, but my fitness is important to me also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ljq309 View Post
    There's not a whole lot of fructose in rice, potatoes, wheat... not saying they don't cause you issues, but fructose is not the culprit in these three.
    Yeah it's probably not just fructose. It's starchy things also, so whatevers in that stuff. Probably dairy too! Anyway, not quite sure at this point, but eliminating most of the questioable stuff has made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    It should be once your well adapted. Just make sure your getting enough overall calories, salt your food/drink bone broth....ect. This fella does comparable work to what your talking about The interplay of exercise and ketosis and here The interplay of exercise and ketosis Gives a pretty good breakdown of what gets better and what don't on high fat low carb while exercising.

Thanks for that, I'm pretty new to all this stuff so a lot of that was over my head but I think I got the jist of it