Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it I can eat butter but am lactose intolerant? page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

Why is it I can eat butter but am lactose intolerant?

Primal Fuel
    Milk makes me violently ill, coming and going as it were, How is it I can eat butter? How many Calories does butter have anyways?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Butter has a lot of calories, but very little lactose. The amount of lactose depends on the processing, but clarified butter or ghee will have almost none. The butter making process separates the water from the fat, and the lactose remains with the water component.

Milk, on the other hand, contains a lot of lactose. It is found in human milk, cow's milk, goat's milk, sheep milk, in varying quantities. Oh yes, yak and buffalo too. Milk = lactose.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Butter has EXTREMELY minimal lactose (sugar) in it. Butter is made by seperating the butterfat from the buttermilk (where the lactose is).

You might to try incorporating Kefir (fermented milk). Try some raw goats milk kefir. Buy or find some Kefir grains on the net and ferment your own at home.

Ive been using it now for some time. Milk would normally have me break out with acne but kefir is HEALING my gut and gut flora and im like 95+% clear right now. Amazing stuff

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    in other words, the gods decreed that butter is the ambrosia of the gods and as such, shall be enjoyed aplenty
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    How many Calories does butter have anyways?
    The perfect amount

semajor is offline Junior Member
    It's possible you're not lactose intolerant, but allergic to the A1 beta-casein protein found in milk. If you can find a brand of milk that advertises A2, Jersey cows produce high A2 milk so you might want to look for that and give it a shot.

a2 Milk™ - About a2 Milk™

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Now I realise semajor is may be a spam bot since their first post is linking to a site that sells something, but they have a good point.

Normal milk makes me violently ill but I have no issues whatsoever with A2 milk. I'm also fine with hard cheese and butter, but creams and yoghurt don't agree with me (haven't tried the A2 yoghurt yet)
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I thought I was serioulsy lactose intolerant for about 10 years... then I switched to raw Jersey and Guernsey milk. Not a single problem since.
    I can't say 100% for sure if it was the processing/pasteurization, the Holstein A1 milk, or a combination of the two... but swapping fixed it. And I'm happy with the milk I drink as it's local, pastured grass, organic, and delicious.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I thought I was serioulsy lactose intolerant for about 10 years... then I switched to raw Jersey and Guernsey milk. Not a single problem since.
    I can't say 100% for sure if it was the processing/pasteurization, the Holstein A1 milk, or a combination of the two... but swapping fixed it. And I'm happy with the milk I drink as it's local, pastured grass, organic, and delicious.
    Yeah, I'm checking into raw this week. Gotta buy a "share" of the cow to keep it all legal where I live. Problem really is that I have gone without anything but butter, cream, and fermented dairy for so long it seems like a real hassle to reintroduce it. We shall see.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, I'm checking into raw this week. Gotta buy a "share" of the cow to keep it all legal where I live. Problem really is that I have gone without anything but butter, cream, and fermented dairy for so long it seems like a real hassle to reintroduce it. We shall see.
    Here it has to be sold as "for Agricultural and pet use only". Evidently my dogs really LOVE milk.
    I thought it might be a hassle too... husband was drinking regular milk with no problems and I was using some almond milk.
    After starting the raw, however, husband now refuses to go back to the other stuff even though I have offered up that option. He drank a small bottle of name brand store milk recently and made all sorts of ugly faces over it, and poured half of it down the drain. It's been a very good experience.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast