Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to Primal Binge? page

wiltondeportes Guest

Best way to Primal Binge?

Shop Now
    Ok, my latest research has brought me to the conclusion that the one thing was wrong with my diet in the past year (when fully primal) was actually too much consistency. Some of my healthier times were from going off of primal. It took me some thinking to figure out why. I pieced together a few pieces of info: A) what I experienced when fully primal for a long time, and B) the fact that even hunter-gatherer societies do not eat meat every day due to failed hunts. In fact, the Kung men can take up to a month off from hunting at a time while they actually dance and celebrate. It hit me: I need to binge occasionally. To put it another way, I need carb reloads. This is a natural cycle. The scientific reason boils down to leptin. Constant primal eating (read: high meat consumption, less of all else) along with low bodyfat and lots of exercise and calorie deficits can lead to low leptin levels.

I believe our body has to go through cycles: sleeping cycles, fasting/undereating during day and eating/overeating at night, exercise and then healing, sunlight during day, proper hydration and not too much fiber for proper digestion.....etc etc etc. It's best to understand the body in terms of cycles than numbers.

My question is this: what are my best options for carb feasting?

-orange sweet potato
    -white sweet potato
    -japanese sweet potato
    -acorn squash
    -spaghetti squash
    -watermelon
    -canteloupe
    -etc

I'm looking for the maximum amount of carb in the minimum size//minimum fiber (to ease digestion) with the highest proportion in glucose or starch (because fructose blocks leptin receptors). I know rice is a great option here, but I prefer not to use grains or dairy. I also would like to avoid white potatoes due to the poisonous glycoalkaloids.

Last night, I attempted a reload with basically all of the above. I ate until I was too full to stand up. I woke up feeling like nothing happened. Maybe the leptin levels have been properly reset, I am not sure. In case they haven't, I'm looking for some assistance. Maybe I chose the correct foods at the store, but I didn't process them properly? All I did was bake them until the flesh of the squash and potatoes went soft.

Any ideas on grinding these up to aid in digestion and make other dishes??
    Any other plant foods with tons of carbs in them?

billp is offline Senior Member
    Great stuff. I do the same and usually lose weight after. Humans are not built for consistency. I eat chips made from potatoes or sweet potatoes, and sometimes masses of pasta (wheat!) and usually a lot of wine and peas. And Haagen Daz vanilla icecream (no funny stuff, simple ingredients).

Have you read Nassim Taleb's essay, Why I Walk? It talks about this and how power laws are more relevant to humans diet and not just to human buildings.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Great stuff. I do the same and usually lose weight after. Humans are not built for consistency. I eat chips made from potatoes or sweet potatoes, and sometimes masses of pasta (wheat!) and usually a lot of wine and peas. And Haagen Daz vanilla icecream (no funny stuff, simple ingredients).

Have you read Nassim Taleb's essay, Why I Walk? It talks about this and how power laws are more relevant to humans diet and not just to human buildings.
    No I haven't. I'll look that up in a few hours because my computer time is up. Is that the guy though who attempted to unify physics with a multiple, self-feeding vortex diagram?

I'm definitely feeling good today, but I feel like I would have liked more carbs last night.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    If I go nuts on the carbs it's usually in the form of mashed tubers of some type, fruit, or something like all natural ice cream. I eat white rice sometimes as well. I'm thinking of baking some banana bread with some white rice flour and molasses as a sweetener tomorrow, which should be interesting.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    i love eating the tubers, but if you're going for high-carb, low fiber, nothing beats watermelon afaik. it's not that primal due to how much watermelons have been selectively bred for their size and sugar content. there are days during the summer that i eat almost nothing but melons. Mmmm!

oh, and you might consider adding a seasonal element to this. in fact, if you're eating seasonally, you're less likely to have the same consistency in diet. in the fall, i tend to eat a lot of squash, meat, milk, and tubers. late winter may be a good time for intermittent squash, meat, and fasts. early summer is better for greens, broccoli, and peas. late summer is great for tomatoes, cukes, summer squash, and fruit; just as some examples.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 04-18-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    oh, and you might consider adding a seasonal element to this. in fact, if you're eating seasonally, you're less likely to have the same consistency in diet. in the fall, i tend to eat a lot of squash, meat, milk, and tubers. late winter may be a good time for intermittent squash, meat, and fasts. early summer is better for greens, broccoli, and peas. late summer is great for tomatoes, cukes, summer squash, and fruit; just as some examples.
    I like the idea of seasonal, and do it to some degree since I have a garden and some fruit trees. I definitely vary my day to day and week to week though probably in reverse of what OP is talking about....(i.e. meat binge days with nothing else).

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    i think meat binge days might be very primal in the late winter/early spring, assuming that Grok could've lived in an area with distinct seasons.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    meat binge for me = wings, steak, etc .... mongolian grill night, somethin like that
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    High carb/Low fiber isn't very natural in the natural world. Getting high carb items usually means getting your fiber in too.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    RICE PUDDING.

mix in some raisins, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Also a bit of butter and some form of milk. Awesome shit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast