Thread: Somewhat of a newbie..how much fat is too much? Is today OK? page

HealthyGirl is offline Member

Somewhat of a newbie..how much fat is too much? Is today OK?

I ask because this morning, I made Bulletproof coffee which called for 1OZ of Coconut oil & 2 TBL of Grassfed butter (Split between DH & Myself).

for lunch I had a big salad W/ Salad dressing I made using EVOO.

Tonight, we are having Sweet Potatoes with homemade Chipotle Mayo, using Avocado oil..

I was thinking of also braising some cabbage in the oven with leftover bacon fat.... Is this too much fat for the day? Should I forego the cabbage and save for tomorrow night? Thanks!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    fat is fuel, and if it's saturated or monounsaturated, doesn't reach a level of toxicity or detriment. the only issue to consider is how much fuel you need.

in the day you describe above, though, my question is "how much protein is too little?" where's the meat?!

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    fat is fuel, and if it's saturated or monounsaturated, doesn't reach a level of toxicity or detriment. the only issue to consider is how much fuel you need.

in the day you describe above, though, my question is "how much protein is too little?" where's the meat?!
    Good question....I had two hard boiled eggs in my salad, and am eating leftover cauliflower pizza with cheese....Should I add a piece of salmon to dinner??

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    agreed... wheres the meat ... id like to see some mildly fatty meat in there imho ...
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HealthyGirl View Post
    I ask because this morning, I made Bulletproof coffee which called for 1OZ of Coconut oil & 2 TBL of Grassfed butter (Split between DH & Myself).

for lunch I had a big salad W/ Salad dressing I made using EVOO.

Tonight, we are having Sweet Potatoes with homemade Chipotle Mayo, using Avocado oil..

I was thinking of also braising some cabbage in the oven with leftover bacon fat.... Is this too much fat for the day? Should I forego the cabbage and save for tomorrow night? Thanks!
    I mean is this your whole day of meals? Where is the meat/protein?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, see its been asked.....Yes add some meat to your day. Fats great, but getting enough protein is really important. If you prefer the fatty cuts you'll naturally get a good proportion. Easiest way for me when I started was to have meat/egg and veggies at every meal. Fatty meat made up about 1/3-1/2 of the plate. That's probably on the high side for some people, but I almost always go with fatty cuts.

paleo pika is offline Member
    You are missing the steak in there I think...

Quote Originally Posted by paleo pika View Post
    You are missing the steak in there I think...
    I asked above...is Salmon OK in stead of steak? It's all I have on hand tonight.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I think the most important part of weight loss is finding the macronutrient ratio that allows you to stop thinking about food except when you are truly hungry. It might take a bit of experimenting to find what works for you. I think the easiest way is to start with very high fat, moderate protein, and moderate to low carb. Then tweak from there.

For me, high fat is the key to controlling the urge to eat. But for some they need a bit more protein and less fat.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's also important to avoid malnutrition. Hence micronutrients are just as important - i.e. getting all the vitamins and minerals that your body needs. You will need to eat plenty of plants in order to that, plenty of bone broth too if you choose to cut out dairy.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-18-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.