Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whole Foods Yogurt Purchase page 2

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfink View Post
    I've found the jackpot. Anyone looking for a high fat Greek yogurt, try this guy out.

Greek Gods Yogurt!
    Eh, I tried this yogurt before and it didn't even compare (taste/mouth-feel) to Fage.

bdfink is offline Member
    I've yet to try fage. Surprisingly all of the grocery stores in my area only have the no fat or 2%

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Greek Gods is my fave also, but it seems to "break" (curdle) easily, and when it does it isn't nearly as good. Safeway has this brand too, at least in the SF Bay Area

...which is fortunate. Dairy cases at trendy stores stuffed with 168 varieties of 0%, low-fat, acai-berry-and-banana flavored yogurt & kefir -- and perpetually sold out of the one plain full-fat option -- are an all-too-frequent major facepalm that urges me to violence. Nonfat yogurt is not exactly a WHOLE FOOD, now, is it?

andre-nyc is offline Junior Member
    Generally I prefer Hawthorne Valley natural, second best is 7 Stars - they are both from originally biodynamic origins, nowadays "only" organic, but I trust them. Both have pasture fed cows, use pasteurized milk, which is sort of OK since it is made into yoghurt, and neither milk is homogenized which is great, so the fat isn't altered; only Hawthorne indicates this directly on their label, but I got an answer from 7 Stars that they also do not homogenize their milk.
    (the reason I prefer Hawthorne Valley is that there is more cream on top which I -and my cat- like)

Trader's Joe is something of a joke, they do sell an organic yoghurt, but it is *pasteurized*... so no beneficial bacteria. There are other reports that aren't too good about Trader's Joe (something about workers benefits, deceptive packaging etc. so I'm not too crazy about shopping there - except maybe for their wines).

I have also heard about goat milk, but have found raw milk and standard yoghurt work fine with me.
    If you are concerned about quality foods, tho, the best is to join a private buying club and get your own raw milk, yoghurt etc. from selected farmers. The price ends up being about even, minus having to pitch in for the coop. Unfortunately CSA's don't provide milk products for the usual obvious reasons.
    Last edited by andre-nyc; 06-05-2012 at 08:59 AM.

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    we were buying the Greek gods for a while, then I noticed there is only 4G of protein in a 4oz serving, VS 22g in an 8oz serving of Chobani. I can only find the 2% Chobani though. We like the TJ's also. Anyone have some on hand that can tell me how much protein is in it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12