Thread: Duck Eggs vs Chicken Eggs ~ Omega 6 page

JVib is offline Senior Member

Duck Eggs vs Chicken Eggs ~ Omega 6

Primal Fuel
    Itís that time of year again! My local farm is getting duck eggs again!! Woo Hoo!! (Ducks donít lay eggs during the winter months like chickens do. So I have to wait for them.)

So, Iím always on the lookout for ways to lower my Omega 6 and up my Omega 3 intake. I got 2 dozen duck eggs from my local farm yesterday and plan on eating some tomorrow morning. So I was on PaleoTrack inputting food and this is the first time Iíve put in duck eggs (I just started using PaleoTrack last month). I was pleasantly surprised to find that a duck egg (which is slightly larger than a jumbo chicken egg) has about half the Omega 6 as a large (standard grocery store) chicken egg. (I typically by Egglandís Best Omega 3 eggs Ė which are a little better, but not much)

Egg, Duck, whole, fresh, raw: 0.391g Omega-6
    Egg, whole, raw, fresh (large): 0.792g Omega-6

This is surprising because duck meat tends to be higher in Omega 6 than chicken meat.

I tried to confirm this info online and didnít find anything. Can anyone out there confirm this data?

If this is right it is another step toward balancing my O6:O3.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

activia is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I wonder if its because the data on the chicken eggs was from CAFO chickens..and there arent any CAFO ducks?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs