Thread: Duck Eggs vs Chicken Eggs ~ Omega 6 page

JVib is offline Senior Member

Duck Eggs vs Chicken Eggs ~ Omega 6

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Itís that time of year again! My local farm is getting duck eggs again!! Woo Hoo!! (Ducks donít lay eggs during the winter months like chickens do. So I have to wait for them.)

So, Iím always on the lookout for ways to lower my Omega 6 and up my Omega 3 intake. I got 2 dozen duck eggs from my local farm yesterday and plan on eating some tomorrow morning. So I was on PaleoTrack inputting food and this is the first time Iíve put in duck eggs (I just started using PaleoTrack last month). I was pleasantly surprised to find that a duck egg (which is slightly larger than a jumbo chicken egg) has about half the Omega 6 as a large (standard grocery store) chicken egg. (I typically by Egglandís Best Omega 3 eggs Ė which are a little better, but not much)

Egg, Duck, whole, fresh, raw: 0.391g Omega-6
    Egg, whole, raw, fresh (large): 0.792g Omega-6

This is surprising because duck meat tends to be higher in Omega 6 than chicken meat.

I tried to confirm this info online and didnít find anything. Can anyone out there confirm this data?

If this is right it is another step toward balancing my O6:O3.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

activia is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if its because the data on the chicken eggs was from CAFO chickens..and there arent any CAFO ducks?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs