Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else on Autoimmune Protocol? page 3

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Finally figured out that I do indeed have an autoimmune disease which explains why my joint pain, GI issues and skin blemishes (not just facial acne, but a few skin issues - including one known to be autoimmune - HS) flare up all at the same time or in quick succession.

I'm seriously considering AIP because I think I might still have a sub-clinical autoimmune disease in addition to HS, and knowing that having one makes you more likely to have others and that there is strong comorbidity between HS and Crohn's and Spondyloarthropathy ("one of the commonest chronic rheumatic diseases, includes a spectrum of related disorders comprising the prototype ankylosing spondylitis, a subset of psoriatic arthritis, reactive arthritis, arthritis associated with inflammatory bowel disease and undifferentiated spondyloarthropathy") (source - Comorbidities of hidradenitis suppurativa (acne inversa)) . . . but I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little afraid to take the leap because I'm not sure what I'll eat.

Should I jump in to AIP straight off or just try to keep strict paleo and see if that alone is enough to help?
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

vh67 is online now Senior Member
    My favorite website about the AIP is thepaleomom.com and is run by Sarah Ballantyne, PhD. It has info on the best way to get started. I am in the middle of her new book, The Paleo Approach, which has been very informative. I am backing into it since I am just not ready to give up hot sauce but I have read that going all in is the best way to do it. That is my next step.

Practical Paleo has a section on AIP, including menus and recipes.

cindakay is offline Junior Member
    I'm new to this too, but I read up on the autoimmune protocol at first, but decided to try primal low carb first then go from there...

You are allowed coconut aren't you? I got some big coconut flakes from Whole Foods org nothing added at all to munch on for a snack. Of course just a plain coconut opened for meat works too

Also google paleo breakfast ideas I know I saw a recipe for baked acorn squash with cinnamon and a few other interesting ideas.

I also agree paleo mom has great recipes and she follows the autoimmune protocol I think.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes, I am celiac and my mom-in-law has severe RA she is starting primal but afraid that is already a huge change for her so one step at a time

Spinner42 is offline Member
    I started the AIP 6 days ago after being pretty strict Paleo ( I can't tolerate gluten or any dairy) for a year and a half. I started it because I have psoriasis (not too bad, thank goodness) and pretty sure still have leaky gut. So far, to be truthful, I feel worse. More headachy, poorer sleep, possibly flatter mood, and my psoriasis is more itchy and irritating. I can imagine the latter might be because I'm giving more psychic energy to it. Has anyone else experienced feeling worse at first, or even for a long time? I am eating well-- fortunately I had already been in the Paleo groove so just cut out nightshades, alcohol, coffee, chocolate, rice. I am having a couple of cups of black tea in the morning and maybe one mid-afternoon, so I don't _think_ it's just caffeine withdrawal. I take a good broad-spectrum probiotic, but haven't had access to kombucha and non-kim chee fermented veggies yet-- I will today.

Any advice for me? I'd like to keep trying this for a month, but I also want to pay attention if my body is telling me this doesn't suit me.

Edited to add: I have a source for excellent pastured eggs. I have felt that whites have been dodgy in the past, but yolks seem OK. I wonder if I should add them back early to help avoid nutrient deficiencies, which I thought might be a cause of poorer sleep.
    Last edited by Spinner42; 03-15-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Fullness

BJDMINN is offline Member
    I've eaten AIP and it's improved my AI considerably. It's restrictive, yes, but in time you'll probably be able to reintroduce some foods. I would echo VH67, and check out The Paleo Mom on her website. Her book, The Paleo Approach, is a wealth of information for anyone starting out or who's been at it a while. Please check it out. So many people with AI have benefited from the AIP. Some see instant results while others need more healing time. Best of luck to you!

Thank you BJDMINN. I hope I'll be one of them! I have read thepaleomom blog, and bought her book. Highly recommended for sure, and looking forward to the cookbook! Maybe because I have already been eating strict Paleo for a while, the additional restrictions really don't bother me. What concerns me is that I actually feel worse in some respects-- headaches, poorer sleep quality, flatter mood. Has anyone else felt worse when beginning this? I'm eating so well-- it's all such great, nutrient-dense food-- that it's hard to find a reason for feeling worse.

BJDMINN is offline Member
    Hi Spinner! Frankly, it's been so long since I started, I don't remember! Are you eating enough fat w/ meals? Possibly intolerance to something you're eating now? I found out I tolerate coconut oil but too much coconut milk or coconut isn't good for me. Some on AIP push starchy veg. but frankly, I can't tolerate it. To much fruit can be a problem for people as well as FODMAPS. It's all so individual. Experiment and keep a log of what your eating. See if there's correlation between certain foods and how your feeling. Best to you! BJ

catgirl320 is online now Senior Member
    The headaches and flat mood sound caffeine related. Coffee often has more caffeine, so even if you have tea a couple times per day it may still be much less than you had before. How much and what brew method did you use?

I started aip - also for a skin issue -last Oct and began feeling and seeing positive results within a couple of weeks. But I am on an aip group, and occasionally someone does report feeling crappy in the beginning and sometimes it lasts for a few weeks. Maybe it is the caffeine. Some people say its a sign of healing or detoxing - I don't buy into that but maybe it is. Have you added any foods you weren't eating before? Anything new could also be the culprit.

Do you supplement with d3 and magnesium - I found that significantly helped my mood.

Thanks to you both catgirl and BJDMINN. I appreciate the responses very much.

I have been drinking about two cups of tea (loose leaves brewed in a pot) each morning with cloves, turmeric, and ginger and a spoonful of coconut oil. Surprisingly easy to let the coffee go!

Last night I added magnesium, on the recommendation of many on this board in various threads. I didn't think about the caffeine in the kombucha I had last evening, so I can certainly blame early evening caffeine for a bad sleep!

I'd say my tummy feels... calm and light! Strange thing to say, but I think something's working for me, gut-wise, so I hope the rest of me catches up

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner42 View Post
    Last night I added magnesium, on the recommendation of many on this board in various threads.
    WHOA. Do NOT like the digestive effects of the magnesium citrate. Yeah, I knew it was used as a laxative (which I don't need at all) but, not to be too descriptive, eww. I see some people use magnesium malate or other magnesium -ates. Any recommendations? BTW, I was taking 150 mg/day, and tried it for two days.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast