Thread: Thoughts on non-grass fed offal page

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member

Thoughts on non-grass fed offal

Due to availability, does anyone see a reason to avoid it? The thoughts of eating liver from a CAFO raised animal is kind of unappealing.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I order my cows by the 1/4-1/2 and always get a good portion of liver also. I would include CAFO liver though if I had no access to my pastured beef. I have eaten it on occasion when my next shipment of cow wasn't due yet and I was out. Its going to have about the same amount of issues as CAFO muscle meat, so if you would eat the meat why not the liver? Your going to require a whole lot less liver for a high nutrient punch. Just thinking toxin/nutrition ratio I say its fine.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Liver is really no more toxic than any muscle meat. The studies I've read have shown the toxin content of liver versus muscle meat to be negligible - statistically significant but ultimately so low it doesn't really matter. If toxins are your concern but you're okay with eating CAFO muscle meat, you may as well buy CAFO liver as well because it's no worse. If you have a cheap source of grass fed/pastured liver, it may be worth it to you since often grass fed organs aren't terribly more expensive than CAFO organs, and it's not like you're packing away pounds of meat. Maybe it's worth it to get the better stuff. The difference here I live is $1.29/lb / $10+/lb respectively for CAFO versus grass fed because my only source is Whole Foods, so I don't buy grass fed organs.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The difference here I live is $1.29/lb / $10+/lb respectively for CAFO versus grass fed because my only source is Whole Foods, so I don't buy grass fed organs.
    Yikes! That's worse than if you just got it shipped to you from here U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too. for $7.10/lb. My source is here 100% Grass-fed Beef - Available in Chicago, IL - Indianapolis, Fort Wayne Indiana, Columbus, Cincinnati, Toledo, Dayton Ohio at $3.00/lb. The latter I only get from when I make a huge order though as they do charge $15 delivery no matter how much you order.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yikes! That's worse than if you just got it shipped to you from here U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too. for $7.10/lb. My source is here 100% Grass-fed Beef - Available in Chicago, IL - Indianapolis, Fort Wayne Indiana, Columbus, Cincinnati, Toledo, Dayton Ohio at $3.00/lb. The latter I only get from when I make a huge order though as they do charge $15 delivery no matter how much you order.
    Thanks, for providing these.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123