Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint vs Conventional Wisdom Nutritional Programs page

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I want to talk about that huge elephant in the room. I do not want to start a negative thread here, rather I want to completely understand something.

At the end of most of the original P90X DVDs Mark Sisson is speaking about supplements, recovery drink, and diet. I assume he had some role in Beach Body's nutritional guide that I've been led to believe was "Correct" nutrition.

6 months of eating like this I read PB and the very same person is telling me that a "recovery" like drink with 39g carbs coming from some sugary glucose and fructose source is no longer good for me. I am also taking P90X vitamins and I am now reading that most supplements are old, stale and may not be good for me. I'll also assume that Shakeology is bad for me too since there are so many grains and sugars in there.

Please help.

grandma is offline Member

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/muscle-building-and-carbs/

He even discusses his role in p90x in a comment.

Thinking evolves. Is PB the final word in nutrition -- I doubt it as we learn more we adjust.

My name here (Grandma) reflects my philosophy of living more naturally, like our ancestors did. I think the best advice is to eat food in it's most natural state. I see no harm in eating some fruit after a workout, but fruit doesn't naturally come powdered in box that you mix with water. Generally, if it is advertised, don't buy it.

Lastly, for me, the PB is not about 10% body fat and washboard abs (that's how Marks sells the program) for me it is about healthy living so I don't really listen to anyone telling me how to optimize. I just want to live.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Your assumption that the sugary shakes are completely unnecessary and bad for you is accurate. I can't speak for Mark, but I'd bet that if he made the video today his advice would be substantially different. His idea of proper nutrition has probably evolved dramatically since the videos were made.

Interested to hear, I had no idea he was ever affiliated with P90X.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I always just assumed that Mark's view changed/evolved since he did those ads for P90X. I know my views over the past few years have certainly changed! Maybe he will stop in here and address the discrepancy.

grandma is offline Member

He already did in the blog post I referenced. There are also some youtube videos of him recommending "healthy whole grains"

I think we can forgive him, as he is (like we are) continuing to learn and refine the thinking. I respect him for that.

My comments above might have sounded negative, which wasn't my intention, I appreciate the fact that Mark shares so much of his knowledge with us for free. He is an above average grok in all ways --- Me, I'm trying to reach average.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

thanks for the link, grandma. Didn't see it up there. (my attention to detail is suffering due to an attempt at reducing my coffee intake)

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

In case not everyone saw my comment on P90X that is linked to above I'll republish it here:

"I did design the P90X post-workout shake. My main 'business' is actually designing supplements, which I have done for several companies including my own. In the case of the P90X shake, I was contacted to design a product line to meet their particular demographic and price specs. At the time of design, the main challenge was to refill muscle glycogen immediately after a relatively longer and harder workout such that you could be ready to go again the very next day, so the main exercise premise deviated from PB. Also, the diet being espoused by P90 staff dietitians was a higher carb diet, so I had to create something that would give the carb-burners a continuous source of muscle glycogen. The prevailing technology at the time was to combine 80% carb and 20% protein, wich I did using mainly fructose. I added antioxidants and creatine along with a few other recovery assists and made it the best tasting drink on the market. I appeared in their advertising at first as part of the deal, but I am no longer affiliated with the P90X program. Apparently, my interviews are still being used by P90 and there’s nothing I can do about that. Obviously, technology has changed in the years since that product was designed and I personally don’t follow a PWO carb-loading strategy."

As some of you mention, my diet and training philosophies most certainly have changed over the years. I've educated myself, further refining my understanding of nutrition science, and new research continues to come out all the time. Luckily, this blog serves as a living testament to, I think, our (me, the Worker Bees, and you, the readers) joint interest in continuing to refine our understanding of how our bodies work and what works best for them. The PB will continue to evolve, but I feel very confident that it is already built on a very strong foundation - on principles that will lead to a healthy, long life.

He has to make a living, folks. As Mark points out, he has evolved and wouldn't give the same advice today. And if he was still promoting the shake while maintaining this blog, I wouldn't begrudge him for it. You want 100% Sisson Grok 100% of the time? Then advocate for a site that we have to pay him for his daily wisdom!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

It's usually a long road from the initial doubt to a Primal mindset. We are all lucky to have access to a page where the of concepts primal nutrition and it's discrepancies with CW are delivered to us chewed-up and predigested.

I think that one of the best assets of this community is that we are permeable to changing our perspectives upon new evidence. I celebrate Mark's intellectual curiosity and honesty.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Mark: Thanks for the response. I completely understand the situation now. I never posted this thread to light any fires; I am having a hard time believing into a lifestyle I've been pounded is so incorrect. CW is still lurking in our household. Your honesty and passion speak loudly and I appreciate that.

All: Thanks for the links and added wisdom. I'll be re reading the PB again tonight. Cheers,

dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast