Thread: Does the perfect Tabata gadget exist? page

Does the perfect Tabata gadget exist?

Primal Fuel
    Hello folks.

I like to throw a Tabata training session into the mix now and again, varying the exercise through each round. I bought a Gymboss trainer to help me in this regard as it was highly recommended.

The main function of the Gymboss is to act as a dual timer - so you can set x seconds of effort followed by y seconds of rest repeated z times.

I usually do 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 8 times.

The thing is, the way I do Tabata - and I think most people do, is then to repeat that lot a number of times after a rest of one minute. So, my Tabata Hell workout is:

20 secs on
    10 secs off

1 minute off

Repeat x 4.

As you can see, this requires three timers, not two. So minus points for the Gymboss.

I found some apps on the Android marketplace that were as good as the Gymboss, but none that could offer the multiple sets functionality that I need.

Does anyone know of an app that can do this? Or - am I going to just have to write it?

J

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Take an approximate minute off and restart your gymboss.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    If you're doing the Tabata protocol appropriately, you will be entirely too spent after the first set to do additional sets. Are you measuring your heart rate during the initial 4 minutes? If it's not darn near the maximum, you're doing moderate-intensity interval training. Not saying it's not valuable, but it's not the Tabata protocol.

If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

I wish I could download the female voice, but have her tell me what a stud I am during sets...that would be awesome for a motivator.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    If you're doing the Tabata protocol appropriately, you will be entirely too spent after the first set to do additional sets. Are you measuring your heart rate during the initial 4 minutes? If it's not darn near the maximum, you're doing moderate-intensity interval training. Not saying it's not valuable, but it's not the Tabata protocol.
    Exactly
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    There is a Tabata Timer app that I have on my phone. It's perfect. Super easy to set and re-set. It times out 20 sec on, 10 seconds off 8 times and has a marker to show you which set you are on. I love it.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Cheers folks... thanks for the input.

BTW. Thanks for the clarification re the Tabata protocol, looks like my old gym has some loose interpretation of it.