Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: A plan that will work for me? page

  1. #1
    janeen's Avatar
    janeen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    237

    A plan that will work for me?

    Primal Fuel
    I tried doing the LHT, move slowly, etc on my own. The problem is me. Working out by myself is boring, I don't push myself enough, and I never stick with it. I know, I know, but I don't think this will change, and I'd rather just go with what works than fight this anymore.

    What does work is a good exercise class. The music and the social aspect keep me motivated, the consistent schedule keep me going, and the instructor pushes me. I'm much more likely to stick with an exercise program that focuses mostly (doesn't have to be exclusively) on group exercise classes.

    So, my goal is to lose about 15 lbs and to increase muscle and overall fitness.

    A new gym just opened up nearby, and they have early morning classes I can get to most mornings before dh leaves for work (leaving 2sleeping children at home with him). Here are the offerings. I think all are 1 hour classes, including warmup and cool down.

    Mon. Spin (tried this, really liked it)
    Tue. HIT
    Wed. Personal training in a group setting, whatever that means
    thurs. RIPPED - some kind of interval/circuit thing, taught by the same instructor as HIT
    Fri. Spin

    I was thinking of doing the 2 spin classes for cardio and the Tues/Thurs combo for sprints, LHT.

    What do you think? Is it enough? Do I need to do more of something? Less of anything? Do I need to add anything other than some stretching?

    Help me put together something that will be beneficial that I'll actually stick with?

    Thanks!



    Mon spin (tried that out, really liked it!)
    Janeen

  2. #2
    pace2race's Avatar
    pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Far Side of Hard
    Posts
    217
    Sounds like a much better way to make it a lifestyle change which is what you are after. It will evolve and adapt over time. Most important is that you enjoy it and it makes you feel better/stronger so you keep it in your lifestyle. If the two classes for LHT aren't all that, you could always go to a 30-45 minute free weight routine at the same gym 2 x per week and use the other classes for intervals (sprints) and slow movement (easy paced cardio). Bottom line: It results in you feeling better so you consistently prefer and choose to do it over time.

  3. #3
    Forever Young's Avatar
    Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    York Pa.
    Posts
    592
    The key to making it part of your life is to first enjoy it and secondly to be realistic about it. By that I mean it is easy to get all excited and dive in head first. Be honest with yourself here. Can you see yourself doing that schedule from now on? I don't know the answer to that. From these eyes there is some chronic cardio there. Spinning is definitely chronic cardio. I know some will disagree. As to cardio conditioning, what do you think builds better conditioning, spinning or sprinting? Most may say spinning. But that isn't true. Sprinting is much more demanding, thus a much better cardio workout. Spinning is more about endurance.

    If you did one strength building workout and one sprint workout a week and then walked some days and maybe one of those classes occasionally, you'd be amazed at the results and you'd likely stick with it long term.

    But really my advice is to not overdo it and to find a combo of things that work for you. Exercise should enhance your life, not detract from it. You should feel great almost everyday. If you don't, adjustments need to be made. It is an on going process as life rolls along. Consistency is king. Even a very little bit done consistently will work wonders.

  4. #4
    janeen's Avatar
    janeen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post
    Sounds like a much better way to make it a lifestyle change which is what you are after. It will evolve and adapt over time. Most important is that you enjoy it and it makes you feel better/stronger so you keep it in your lifestyle. If the two classes for LHT aren't all that, you could always go to a 30-45 minute free weight routine at the same gym 2 x per week and use the other classes for intervals (sprints) and slow movement (easy paced cardio). Bottom line: It results in you feeling better so you consistently prefer and choose to do it over time.
    Thanks! My thoughts exactly, only You were more eloquent.
    Janeen

  5. #5
    janeen's Avatar
    janeen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    The key to making it part of your life is to first enjoy it and secondly to be realistic about it. By that I mean it is easy to get all excited and dive in head first. Be honest with yourself here. Can you see yourself doing that schedule from now on? I don't know the answer to that.
    Sure! In fact, the times in my life I've been the fittest, this is exactly what I've done.

    If you did one strength building workout and one sprint workout a week and then walked some days and maybe one of those classes occasionally, you'd be amazed at the results and you'd likely stick with it long term.
    That would probably work fine if i followed through on it, but I would hate it so much I would never do it long enough to see results. BTDT too many times.

    But really my advice is to not overdo it and to find a combo of things that work for you. Exercise should enhance your life, not detract from it. You should feel great almost everyday. If you don't, adjustments need to be made. It is an on going process as life rolls along. Consistency is king. Even a very little bit done consistently will work wonders.
    Last edited by janeen; 04-18-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    Janeen

  6. #6
    janeen's Avatar
    janeen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    237
    ACK! I can't get the next part of my post in, soi'll just put it here.

    Don't overdo, enjoy it, be consistent, and expect to feel good. Good advice, thanks.
    Janeen

  7. #7
    Forever Young's Avatar
    Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    York Pa.
    Posts
    592
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by janeen View Post
    ACK! I can't get the next part of my post in, soi'll just put it here.

    Don't overdo, enjoy it, be consistent, and expect to feel good. Good advice, thanks.
    No problem! That is pretty much it in a nutshell. How you feel on a daily basis is the measuring stick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •