Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good Eggs Are Hard to Find... page 3

Torc is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    No. Chickens are scavengers. They'll eat bugs, table scraps, anything they like, but they aren't cows.
    They do and will eat grass, leaves, etc as well. It will not take long for them to take an area with grass down to a barren landscape. I keep a patch near the run glowing and will cut down part of it and give it to them on a regular basis.

Onions and potatoes are some things I found they will not eat.

daveforshee is offline Junior Member
    I also recommend craigslist. Some people would probably show you their hens as well

We went on a drive to the coast this weekend and found a couple places selling eggs as cheap as $3 a dozen. We are pretty much done buying eggs at the store.

-David

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    No. Chickens are scavengers. They'll eat bugs, table scraps, anything they like, but they aren't cows.

BTW, even the best pastured, truly free-roaming hale and hearty chickens eating bugs and a healthful diet will sometimes have some grain supplement.

Google the Mother Earth News articles on pastured eggs, there's about half a dozen of them from over the past 6 years. Interesting stuff.
    You should see our chickens fight over chunks of leftover chicken after lunch. They LOVE it. Maybe because it tastes like chicken.

Capthead is offline Junior Member
    I grew up on a farm and chickens eat everything. We had cows and chickens and the chickens went behind the cows and ate. I found free range can mean anything. It isn't a place in paradise.

Good luck finding the right eggs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123