Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Eggs Are Hard to Find... page 2

iniQuity is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnn View Post
    Whole Foods
    Not my first choice for anything, but they do have properly fed chicken eggs
    They also have a pastured butter that may be superior to Kerrygold.
    I hate paying a lot for a little, even if I know it's great quality... I was able to find eggs labeled 'local' at whole foods, so I bought those because they were the cheapest. They were odd colored (or not uniform, so to speak) and pretty bright yellow and tasted better, so I'm going to assume they were fed a slightly better diet.

Dano442 is offline Junior Member

What's wrong with Kerrygold butter?

I've been using Kerrygold butter...because of the grass fed info...is it not so good?

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyTHFC View Post
    Yeah, the Organic Valley Pasture Butter is great stuff.
    These are the things I can only get at whole foods (sans a local farm):
    1) Organic Valley for butter
    2) Vital Farms eggs
    3) local raw milk aged cheddar
    4) coconut milk
    5) frozen organic asparagus, cauliflower, and berries (although trader joes has this)
    6) organic apples
    7) Brazil nuts sold sep, and the ability to make your own nut butter on site
    8) Sweet potatoes that are not orange
    9) Fage greek yogurt that is NOT low or non-fat
    10) 100% grass fed beef (when I run out of my farm supply)

Also the fresh organic fruits/vegetables are "fresher" then at the local grocery store. I can also buy organic berries for the same price as conventional berries at the local store.. unless of course the berries are on sale at the local store....
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

andyTHFC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano442 View Post
    I've been using Kerrygold butter...because of the grass fed info...is it not so good?
    nothing is wrong with it...I just prefer the OV stuff.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    I'm no farmer but surely there aren't any chickens anywhere that eat only grass?
    There are a few places near me, one of them being polyface. They eat grass and the bugs along with whatever other critters in the pasture they get a hold of. So, they are not solely eating grass, but we dont want them to. Im pretty sure there is no grain feeding there, I could be wrong though. And, it may depend on the time of year.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    You'd be surprised how many people are raising their own chickens now. Ask around. My fiance gets our eggs from a guy he knows at work. They eat crawfish meat and shells along with whatever they can scrounge in the yard, so their yolks are super-dark and DELICIOUS.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Try your local Craigslist.

There are people around who don't have full fledged "farms", but have small acreage and keep a dozen or so hens to roam, help control bugs, and supply eggs. Contact some people about the other feeds, access to grassy pasture, and getcha some eggs. I have a local lady who sells me pastured eggs for $2 a dozen. Cheaper than the factory "cage free, vegetarian diet" stuff at the store.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I get about 8 eggs every day by reching under a hen and grabbing them. All day long they are out in the yard pecking for worms and bugs on my property. The best and only way to get eggs!

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    You'd be surprised how many people are raising their own chickens now. Ask around. My fiance gets our eggs from a guy he knows at work. They eat crawfish meat and shells along with whatever they can scrounge in the yard, so their yolks are super-dark and DELICIOUS.
    I'm actually going to raise my own chickens but it seems that feeding them grains is common, even soy! I see no need to feed them soy... of course they will get the stuff in the natural environment and kitchen scarps..but that will not be enough. Can you ask him specifically what he feeds and where he gets it from? Thanks
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Crofter is offline Member
    Chickens do not, I'm afraid, live on grass. They need grains or other food sources too. They are omnivores, I've even seen one of ours swallow a whole mouse! If you try keeping hens with just access to grass and bugs they will lay few, if any, eggs. Grains may be bad for us but they are the natural food of hens, they will spend hours pecking the seeds out of the grasses at the end of the summer.
    The thing to do is to ensure that the eggs you buy come from hens fed on organically grown grains without the addition of any soya products.
    The company who claim their hens are fed on a "Vegetarian Diet" must be keeping the hens indoors in cages otherwise they would never be able to guarantee this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast