Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twelve Percent page

Redguy is offline Junior Member

Twelve Percent

Shop Now
    Is it reasonable to expect to get to 12% body fat from doing PBF and fasting 16 hours every day, with a 24 hour fast about once a week?

I started LC almost 4 years ago. I lost about 80 pounds. I've been at the same weight for almost 2 years, but I didn't really exercise and IF is fairly new for me.

I'm 6ft tall, 38in waist, 15in neck, 190 pounds. I'm guessing my body fat is around 20%. I would like it to be around 12%. I looked at LeanGains and I'm not really up for taking all the BCAA and I don't have any interest in being < 10% body fat.

With the addition of IF, I'm still not positive I'm getting results, but I'm in no hurry. I just wonder if my expectations are unrealistic.

Can anyone give me a reality check?

Thank you.

BCAA wont hurt you so i dont get that.Obviously you have lost alot of weight but to push it to the next level some exercise what evr tickles your fancy is probably in order in saying that diet is 80% training 20%

I agree. I've been exercising using PBF (Primal Blueprint Fitness) since August. I'm stronger than I was when I started, but I realize that my weight loss efforts are going to hinder my progress somewhat (unless I use something like LeanGains)

It's not that I think BCAAs are harmful. I just don't want to drink protein shakes as a regular part of my diet. I'd rather eat real food and use a protein shake as something to "eat" when I'm in a pinch. (or just eat nothing)

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    It's not unreasonable. It ends up being a matter of diet.

I think you're confused about BCAA's and what they do/don't do.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

I have various limitations to when I can workout and when I can eat. The only LeanGains protocol that I could pull off is "Early morning fasted training". This requires 30 grams of BCAAs on your workout days.

It's my understanding that, within the context of "Early morning fasted training", BCAAs prevent the fast from having a detrimental effect on your muscles, since you can't eat your big meal directly following your workout.

With regard to diet, I don't eat grass-fed meat because of the price and I'll have soybean based mayo maybe once a month. Other than that I can't think of anything I consume that isn't Primal. I eat a boat load of salads and various vegetables and I have some sort of meat with almost every meal. I eat until I'm "satisfied", stopping short of "full."

Does that sound like the sort of tack that will take me to my goal? Or is it going to require something regimented and prescribed like LeanGains?

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Even Martin only recommends 10g BCAA's pre-lift, I only do 5g. Post-lift, big meal. He only recommends more if there's gonna be a big gap between training and eating.

It'll still get you there, but without big heavy compound lifts it'll take longer
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Exercise! Don't worry about percentage just keep working to a point where you are happy.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about the BCAA's. Working out fasted without them is fine. 12% isn't unreasonable.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redguy View Post
    Is it reasonable to expect to get to 12% body fat from doing PBF and fasting 16 hours every day, with a 24 hour fast about once a week?
    Sure. Likewise, it's possible to gain fat while doing that. Likewise, you could lose or gain fat without bothering to IF at all.

It's really more about putting in some effort/sacrifice by doing things like cutting down total intake, avoiding indulgences (cheats), making the healthiest choices (all whole foods, no processed stuff), staying active (especially the move frequently thing), etc. Generally speaking, lowering your BF% when it's already fairly low takes some work.

So don't worry about a magic formula or solution like "if I fast for x hours x days a week, then will I cut up?". Just stay conscious of what you're doing all the time and make good choices consistently.

That's my best attempt a reality check for ya.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    But at the same time, your plan sounds like a good one. 12% isn't super crazy low (for a guy) so it probably won't take extreme measures. But it might take a while unless you get really strict about your food.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast