Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Twelve Percent page 3

Redguy is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Here's another...

A Body Fat Percent Picture Guide!

I guess my question is -- with a proper diet (Primal or otherwise), what is realisitically achievable for most people if they can dedicate a maximum of, say, 2 hours a week to the gym or track or wherever?
    2 hours a week isn't much. I consider myself to be reasonably active and I walk the dog every night (or try to) for 30 minutes at a brisk pace. I also spend about 30 - 35 minutes doing body weight exercises twice a week and 15 minutes sprinting once a week. That's a total of around 5 hours a week. Even if I cut out the body weight stuff and the sprints that would still be 3.5 hours a week. At that level of activity, I'd expect to be maintain my current level of fitness.

If I only had 2 hours a week I would focus on the brisk walks. But I wouldn't expect to make my goal of 12% body fat. I would expect to be fit enough to not suffer badly during a day at Disneyland. I suppose the body fat percentage would depend on what you were eating, but I don't think you could expect to be a low as 12% unless you were starving yourself.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I agree that 2 hours a week is a pretty minimal amount of time to devote to anything you are serious about. If you are talking about 2 hours a week of just weight training, and not including sports or walking, then sure.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Here's another...

A Body Fat Percent Picture Guide!

I guess my question is -- with a proper diet (Primal or otherwise), what is realisitically achievable for most people if they can dedicate a maximum of, say, 2 hours a week to the gym or track or wherever?
    Thats an 1.5 more hours than I spend a week . I do about a half hour of scheduled exercise each week. Done and done. I of course am very active outside of that too. I walk to and from work and goof with the kids and so on and so forth. Just plan a couple of short intense sessions and work on adding activity to your day to day. It sound cliche, but really...take the stairs, park far away or walk places, stand or walk at work whenever you can, do some random pushups/pullups when you get the urge. Its all good.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I was thinking 2 hours a week of dedicated exercise. An hour a day of walking to/fro work, tussling with the kids on the trampoline, fighting the stream current while flyfishing - all the "usual" stuff not counting as part of that.

Also been sharing the "body fat %" pics with female friends - seems most of them aren't all that keen about the really cut stuff. But that's gotta be YMMV territory - au chacun a son gout, etc.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    You can do leangains in 2 hours a week gym time... Split RPT style

Say 15min general warmup, 7min for warmup sets (that's usually how long it takes me to do 5 warmup sets and set the working weight), 5min rest, lift, 3 min rest, lift, 3min rest, lift and done.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, F, will take a closer look at leangains.

Yep lean gains RPT is the biz its fast and affective i dont feel i need more i put in and im toast.I only warm up till im ready and stretched a bit dont like to waste to much energy on it.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, F, will take a closer look at leangains.
    rippedbody.jp spells it out clearer than Martin : ‘Three Day Split RPT’ Routine | RippedBody.jp
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

mattrogers55 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redguy View Post
    Is it reasonable to expect to get to 12% body fat from doing PBF and fasting 16 hours every day, with a 24 hour fast about once a week?

I started LC almost 4 years ago. I lost about 80 pounds. I've been at the same weight for almost 2 years, but I didn't really exercise and IF is fairly new for me.

I'm 6ft tall, 38in waist, 15in neck, 190 pounds. I'm guessing my body fat is around 20%. I would like it to be around 12%. I looked at LeanGains and I'm not really up for taking all the BCAA and I don't have any interest in being < 10% body fat.

With the addition of IF, I'm still not positive I'm getting results, but I'm in no hurry. I just wonder if my expectations are unrealistic.

Can anyone give me a reality check?

Thank you.
    The Army would tell you your body fat percentage is 24% (they do it based on circumference) It doesn't matter much what method you use as long as you're consistent. I started at 23% BF and after 6 months of Primal and Intermittent Fasting
    I'm down to 11% so this is definitely possible for you! I'm not some genetic freak either, because I started out at over 300lbs! You can do it!
    "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace by those who have been trained by it."

HT: 6' 2"
    Peak Wt: 303lbs- Nov 1st 2011
    Current Wt: 240lbs- Sep 1st 2012

Redguy is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mattrogers55 View Post
    The Army would tell you your body fat percentage is 24% (they do it based on circumference) It doesn't matter much what method you use as long as you're consistent. I started at 23% BF and after 6 months of Primal and Intermittent Fasting
    I'm down to 11% so this is definitely possible for you! I'm not some genetic freak either, because I started out at over 300lbs! You can do it!
    Thanks Matt! My starting weight was 271 in 2008. The main reason I want to lean down is I want to demolish the conventional wisdom that says when you get fat, you'll never be lean again. I want be fully successful, instead of settling for good enough. All this "loose skin" is just fat, and fat can be lost.

Like most of us doing this type of diet, I run into a lot of detractors. I even had a guy tell me I was going to be sick and dying in 10 years. I want to be able to show them my before pictures and then not have to explain away the jelly roll above my belt line. My transformation has stalled. I've gone from "fat" to "not fat". I want to continue on to "fit". It is nice to know that's not an idealistic pipe dream.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast