Thread: Huffington post on Aging gracefully.... page

Meatgrrrl is offline Senior Member

Huffington post on Aging gracefully....

Shop Now
    Barbara Hannah Grufferman: Seven Habits That Will Help You Live Longer (And Better)

'The study showed that following the recommended habits not only predicted lower mortality, but those who lived longer also suffered fewer disabilities. In a news release, Dr. Breslow said, "What was surprising to me was how these seven habits were so strongly predictive of mortality."

The "Seven Healthy Habits" -- as Dr. Breslow referred to his key tips -- are:

Don't smoke.
    Drink moderately or don't drink at all.
    Get a good night's sleep of seven or eight hours.
    Exercise 30 minutes at a time, several times a week. Walking vigorously is a top choice.
    Forget the scales. Eat moderately to maintain weight in relation to height.
    Eat regularly, whether that's two meals a day, three or five. Whatever you do normally, keep it up because it's the regularity of life and moderation in eating, sleeping and exercising that makes all the difference.
    Eat breakfast every day.
    '

Comments?

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Other studies I've come across have included having a social network which she does refer to later on. While I sort of agree with most of the list I have some reservations.

Firstly, the study is based on people elderly now, so they may have eaten different food to what most eat today (ie. less processed). Also is the usual healthy living bias where people with good habits tend to follow a range of healthy behaviours and so confound the variables. Since we are told we should eat breakfast every day, healthy people will do that as well as eat other healthy food and getting exercise etc.

Another big issue I think is stress. We are supposed to be so busy now, which puts more strain on our body.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I think it's mostly opinionated.

"or don't drink at all". Pretty much all of the available data shows that moderate drinkers live longer than those who don't drink at all. Puritan much? Also alcohol isn't a dealbreaker, it is toxic but only conditionally. It depends on what you do. Check out my articles on how to drink healthfully. The Highbrow Paleo Guide To Binge Drinking: Mitigating the deleterious effects of ethanol on health (or, How To Get Shitfaced With Impunity) Highbrow Paleo

Exercise for 30 minutes at a time? Why? That seems arbitrary. You can get the same benefit in 10 if it is HIIT. I'm not totally against exercising for 30 minutes but it certainly isn't more beneficial.

Eat breakfast and eat regularly...I can't see those being better than intermittent fasting regularly. I wouldn't IF every day but that is quite good as extending life and combating degeneration and goes against what they say.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i saw an ad once for a doctor prescribed capsule to help with the appearance of aging. women saw dramatic results after taking them a while

the ingredients in said capsule were fish oil and vit E

so that's what i think about when any big news outlet has a dr talk about aging
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatgrrrl View Post
    Barbara Hannah Grufferman: Seven Habits That Will Help You Live Longer (And Better)

'The study showed that following the recommended habits not only predicted lower mortality, but those who lived longer also suffered fewer disabilities. In a news release, Dr. Breslow said, "What was surprising to me was how these seven habits were so strongly predictive of mortality."

The "Seven Healthy Habits" -- as Dr. Breslow referred to his key tips -- are:

Don't smoke.
    Drink moderately or don't drink at all.
    Get a good night's sleep of seven or eight hours.
    Exercise 30 minutes at a time, several times a week. Walking vigorously is a top choice.
    Forget the scales. Eat moderately to maintain weight in relation to height.
    Eat regularly, whether that's two meals a day, three or five. Whatever you do normally, keep it up because it's the regularity of life and moderation in eating, sleeping and exercising that makes all the difference.
    Eat breakfast every day.
    '

Comments?
    Some of these I can agree with, like not smoking, eating regularly, and sleeping well. Others, like eating breakfast every day, I find purely bothersome. Eating breakfast every day was drilled into my head as a kid; it became a habit and so, naturally, I did it for many, many years which lead to increased weight and a complete screw up of my hungry/not hungry signals.

I don't eat breakfast every day. Hell, I sometimes fast for a day or two at a time if I feel like it.

In conclusion, I think this means absolutely nothing in the long run. It's not specific enough data to give people the knowledge they need to make a real change.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

I find it part 'stating the bleeding obvious' versus 'CW'.

Also for anyone looking to improve their health, it mentions nothing about what to eat.

Eat regularly? Great, I'll have a Quarter pounder McDog meal every lunchtime. That's regular right?
    Eat breakfast every day? Cool, so a Mc Dog breakfast with pancakes and sauce is the way to go.

I despair that someone made an article about this and printed a book too. What will they be printing next? Sparkling vampire stories? Oh, wait....

js290 is offline Senior Member

Thanks for that js. I might show that to the friend who sent me the link in the first place. His high carb breakfast is 'The Grail' apparently.
    I said I thought it was more 'The Grain'.