Thread: Homemade laundry detergent - one load at a time? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Homemade laundry detergent - one load at a time?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was wondering if it would be reasonable to just grate a little bit of my soap bar, add a little borax, add a little washing soda, and put a drop of essential oil in a laundry load, and if it will have the same effect as making the huge tub thing of it at once. Don't have the space to store it

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I was wondering if it would be reasonable to just grate a little bit of my soap bar, add a little borax, add a little washing soda, and put a drop of essential oil in a laundry load, and if it will have the same effect as making the huge tub thing of it at once. Don't have the space to store it
    Is this a joke? Where are you going to store the ungrated soap and unmixed borax and washing soda? It doesn't take up any extra space because it's grated. Why would it possibly make a difference, if you got the proportions correct?

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Two parts soap, one part borax, one part washing soda. You don't have to make a huge tub. Fill an old coffee can or other small container.

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    I have 5 gallon containers. I fill it with the cheapest soap, along with 4lbs of baking soda, some Borax or comparable booster, (whole box), and some oxi clean. Best detergent ever

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Is this a joke? Where are you going to store the ungrated soap and unmixed borax and washing soda? It doesn't take up any extra space because it's grated. Why would it possibly make a difference, if you got the proportions correct?
    I can stack boxes but can't fit a huge round tub thing? Also iffy about melting the soap in water on my stove in a small pot that I have.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I can stack boxes but can't fit a huge round tub thing? Also iffy about melting the soap in water on my stove in a small pot that I have.
    You don't have to make a liquid soap. To be honest I don't know why people do. It seems a lot of hassle for something that doesn't work any better. I grate the soap then add borax and washing soda and use dry. Of course I don't add any fragrance but if you wanted to you could add that directly to the washer and just use it dry. I make about 8 cups at a time, which fits into a medium sized plastic storage container.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I totally didn't realize you were making a liquid version. (The question makes way more sense now. duh on me!)

I think the recipe I use is 1 bar shredded soap to 1 cup each borax and washing soda, but we just leave it in a big tupperware and scoop it as a soapy powder. Works great, and I can stink up some laundry!

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    Tried soapnuts? They're brilliant and very economical! I bought 200 grams for £4 and they lasted over a year. Bought 1 kilo last time, should last a few years even with babies on the way.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to make a Duggar sized batch. And if your batch is still too big, divide it into smaller containers and store the extra under the bed, in the garage, wherever. Could you put it in stackable tupperware type containers?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadannii View Post
    I second the soap nuts - they are pretty awesome. But I have a need that the clothes 'smell clean' - as well as being clean of course. We got aorund it by adding lemon and vanilla oil, just a few drops of each to the wash at the start. The soap nuts claen easily and the oils smell clean so it worked perfectly
    For smell I put a dab of vanilla and neroli oil on a dry microfiber cloth when I dry my clothes. SO yum.
    The cloth doesn't really need the oil added every time, and the scent is up to you. When I do husbands work laundry I don't dose the cloth and it gives a softer smell.
    I also change scent on occasion. Vanilla and mint in the summer... A touch of sandalwood int he cool months...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.