Thread: HOLYGRAIL! Proper non-dairy recipe for fab chai latte/hot choc etc page

SophieE is offline Senior Member

Wink HOLYGRAIL! Proper non-dairy recipe for fab chai latte/hot choc etc

Primal Fuel
    People must be pretending when they say they're happy with coconut milk in their tea or hot chocolates and cream is a bit iffy and still a bit of a cheat. I almost gave up but I found a super duper way of doing it and it is actually good for you, DOESN'T TASTE LIKE COCONUT, pretty much DAIRY FREE, LOW OMEGA 6 (haha I feel like I should post a few testimonials and ask for 3 low payments of just $99.95 to reveal the secret).

Anyway, there are a few ways of going about it so it's not an issue if you don't have all ingredients. I'll list alternatives. If you're going to use macadamia butter and are lazy (like me) then you can mix it all up in the cup you're going to drink from. If you want to remove the chunkiness of residual macadamia granules, mix the hot water with the macadamia butter then add into your drinking cup through a sieve or cheese cloth etc- still very simple but I'm pretty lazy so here's the lazy recipe. In my opinion this recipe needs half a tsp of honey for chai and a bit more for hot chocolate- I haven't used it for savoury purposes yet.

Ingredients: 2 egg yolks, 1 TBS butter/ghee (or coconut oil), 1 TBS macadamia butter (or butter/ghee/coconut oil), 1/2 cup boiling water/tea.

1. Mix 2 egg yolks with 1 TBS of butter or ghee (less preferably, coconut oil) and 1 TBS of macadamia butter (less preferably, another TBS of butter/ghee/coconut oil).
    2. Add and mix in any spices/sweeteners at this point (or cocoa if you're making hot chocolate)
    3. Pour in half a cup of boiling water or very recently brewed hot hot tea- mix well.
    4. DONE. Adjust sweetness etc etc. If you want it richer (I wanted it richer) add a TBS extra of macadamia butter (or butter/ghee/coconut oil)

The yolks emulsify it all together and it is fabulous. You don't need to use a blender- just a fork- though a blender would make it nice and frothy.

A suggested addition to hot chocolate (not low omega-6), is some hazelnut butter. It makes it taste like a nutella hot chocolate. mmmm

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Sounds delish! Gotta try this now, unfortunately will have to wait until tomorrow evening as I'm mid IF
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

My brain cannot process this.... is it like a milky substance? Is the point of this to make it not taste like coconut milk? I normally use almond milk in things because I'm allergic to cows milk. Will this taste like nuts?

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    It is milky. I wanted something milky that didn't have as strong a flavor as coconut milk. Doesn't taste nutty because the flavor of macadamias is very subtle and barely even detectable in this concoction.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Wow this sounds fabulous... a few questions though. First, does adding the boiling water cook the eggs? I'm a little skeeved out by the idea of eating raw eggs. Also, is this meant to be drunk on its own? Or is this simply a milk substitute to be added to coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've made bulletproof coffee using egg yolks instead of butter and it was pretty good. I suppose this is about the same. Egg yolks plus macadamia nut butter. Sound delicious. Like a coffee breakfast shake.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i can see me making alot of pavlovas for everyone else if this tastes good lol