Thread: Eating healthy with allergies? page

chris05628 is offline Junior Member

Eating healthy with allergies?

Primal Fuel
    I am eager to try "primal living" and want to start eating a lot healthier. I know that means eating vegetables, nuts, fruits, and other healthy foods but unfortunately I am allergic to some of them. Most fruits and vegetables give me mild allergic reactions if they are not cooked. I am fine with some, like bananas, strawberries, and pineapple. I am allergic to most raw vegetables and fruits though. The same goes for nuts. How can I eat healthy while avoiding uncooked nuts, fruits or vegetables? I have heard that cooking fruits and veggies gets rid of some nutritional value, and not to mention the fact that it takes time and is inconvenient. The biggest worry for me is the nuts. I have heard that they are a vital part of a person's diet since they fill you up, provide healthy fats, and help prevent cravings. I barely, maybe even never, eat nuts because they almost always give me an allergic reaction. Any advice on what I should eat/do about this would be greatly appreciated.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Just eat them cooked, the nutrient loss isnt that bad. Plus if you cook them and drink the broth (think soup) then you aren't losing any of the nutrients. Or you could just lightly steam. Really eating them raw is not necessary.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Nuts aren't necessary, and I much prefer cooked to raw vegetables. Making them into soup is indeed a good idea. Also vary the way you cook them - boiling carrots may leach water soluble vitamins, roasting may leach fat soluble ones - do both and over time you'll cover all your bases

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Ummm if your allergic to nuts..dont eat them? I dont eat them..i am allergic (anaphalactic) and do fine without.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget the meat. Its very healthy too
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris05628 View Post
    I am eager to try "primal living" and want to start eating a lot healthier. I know that means eating vegetables, nuts, fruits, and other healthy foods but unfortunately I am allergic to some of them.
    Don't eat foods you're allergic to. Focus on what you CAN eat. EAT MEAT.

Most fruits and vegetables give me mild allergic reactions if they are not cooked. I am fine with some, like bananas, strawberries, and pineapple. I am allergic to most raw vegetables and fruits though.
    Cook your foods the way you like them. The more appetizing the food is, the more likely you'll embrace this way of eating. Brussels Sprouts are big in the paleo food world and I'm pretty sure a bunch of people here wouldn't touch a brussel sprout with a 10 foot pole. Same goes for coconut, the primal miracle food. If you hate it, don't eat it.

The same goes for nuts. How can I eat healthy while avoiding uncooked nuts,
    You don't need nuts to be healthy. You need good fats, meat, colorful veggies, root veggies, and a little fruit (and dairy if your body tolerates it) Nuts are permitted, not mandatory.

I have heard that cooking fruits and veggies gets rid of some nutritional value, and not to mention the fact that it takes time and is inconvenient.
    Roasting veggies takes time, but its not time you have to spend watching them cook. Put them in, set the timer, go sort some laundry. They don't take any more time to prepare than meat or a baked sweet potato. A few lost nutrients are better than avoiding veggies altogether because they're "time consuming". Honestly, chopping up a raw salad takes more time and effort than shaking some veggies around on a pan with some bacon fat and tossing the pan in a hot oven.

The biggest worry for me is the nuts. I have heard that they are a vital part of a person's diet since they fill you up, provide healthy fats, and help prevent cravings.
    Incorrect. Eating a real meal with FAT and PROTEIN from good quality sources fills you up. Nuts are a so-so source of both. A convenience food at best. If you need a portable snack food, eat jerky or hard boiled eggs.

I barely, maybe even never, eat nuts because they almost always give me an allergic reaction. Any advice on what I should eat/do about this would be greatly appreciated.
    I barely eat nuts because they're too easy to binge on mindlessly and they dont' really fill me up. Great as a crunchy ingredient to a recipe, but not necessary as a stand alone food.

Pretty sure you can stop fearing the nuts now
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

MarianaGodoy is offline Junior Member
    PhitChicksBlog Wellness Blog Angela is helping wellness professionals share their gifts with more people. Check out her blog at Phit Chicks

Karyn is offline Junior Member
    Focus on the foods that you can eat. There is no reason not to cook the vegetables if that is how you can eat them. Many people eat a diet that is not particularly varied and do just fine.
    Can you have coconut oil? That would add healthy oil to your diet.