Thread: Cashews/Pecans - How do they Rate? page

smcnk_reed1@verizon.net is offline Junior Member

Cashews/Pecans - How do they Rate?

Primal Fuel
    I've been close to 99% primal for 5-6 weeks and have been feeling great. I eat lots of greens and sardines and also grass-fed meets from local farmers. I have given up grains and don't eat/drink dairy products due to food sensitivities (I am also sensitive to eggs so have not eaten those as well)

I like Raw cashews and have tried macadamia's and almonds. It turns out I have an oral allergic reaction to the raw macadamias which is severer and almonds which is minor (although I can eat almonds dry roasted). My question is in the scale of things, where do cashews rate to the other nuts. My second favorite nut is Raw Pecans. Any comments on my nut choices will be appreciated

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Raw Pecans are a good choice. But I would be careful with any nut if you are having an allergic reaction. You can build an allergy over time, and nut allergies do have a reputation for being fatal. So if you notice the reaction getting worse, stop with all nuts.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    technically, cashews aren't nuts. they're also not primal. though, i still indulge in them on rare occasions without any guilt or problems.
    pecans are good nuts, though. also look at pistacios and brazil nuts. but, like workinprogress said, go easy with them...you don't want to cause any problems, and consuming nuts should probably be considered a sensible indulgence rather than diet staple.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    technically, cashews aren't nuts. they're also not primal. though, i still indulge in them on rare occasions without any guilt or problems.
    pecans are good nuts, though. also look at pistacios and brazil nuts. but, like workinprogress said, go easy with them...you don't want to cause any problems, and consuming nuts should probably be considered a sensible indulgence rather than diet staple.
    Cashews are a seed, not a legume, so they are Primal. Mark references them in his nut post.

Nuts and Omega 6 Fats | Mark's Daily Apple

As you can see, if you're selecting nuts in terms of omega 6 content, next to macadamia nuts, cashews are a better choice than any nut. Hazelnuts are a close third. I just made a jar of "raw" cashew butter yesterday. I put raw in quotes because raw cashews aren't really raw.

The lipid profile of cashews are much better than pecans. But ultimately, nuts shouldn't be a dietary staple. If you're eating a low omega 6 diet and limit nut consumption, eat the nut variety you want. If you're eating nuts daily, then it matters since they're not ideal human food. Last night I had a slice of homemade cheesecake with pecan crust and a tablespoon of homemade raw cashew butter on the side. So I choose both. I always have a jar of organic non-GMO peanut butter on hand though, so I'll be enjoying my stay in Primal Hell I guess
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-17-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Good quality nut butter is my kryptonite :-o

(especially peanut butter)
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Nuts should NOT be eaten raw unless they're sprouted. At the very least, roast them, especially if you're allergic to a few. Soak them in room temperature water for up to 12 hours (less than 6 hours for cashews), or look up a sprouting guide for the type you have.