Thread: Depression blood test for teens may lead to better treatment, less stigma page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Depression blood test for teens may lead to better treatment, less stigma

Primal Fuel
    (CBS News) Researchers are hopeful that diagnosing depression may soon be as easy as diagnosing high cholesterol. A new study describes a blood test that that distinguished depression among teenagers.
    Depression blood test for teens may lead to better treatment, less stigma - HealthPop - CBS News

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    That's all well and good, but it's just one more move towards looking for a simple one dimensional cause of depression. Depression, and other mental illness, almost always develops as a result of a biopsychosocial dynamic, and not just biological. I'm kind of getting sick and tired of all the news coming out talking about genetic causes of depression. Don't get me wrong, we should try our best to better understand what causes genetic predispositions, but we also need to raise awareness of environmental causes. It appears that the media wants to stay away from discussing how much the lack of proper nurture, during crucial years of development and beyond, contribute to childhood mental illness, adolescent mental, and throughout adulthood. One thing most people don't realize, is that the brain's development, and how it responds emotionally, is greatly impacted during the crucial years, between 1 and 5. I just wish this discussion would be brought to the forefront far more often than it is. I think this is a good study, but again, as usual, findings like this are not balanced with the reporting of other contributing factors, leading people to continue to feel as though they do not have to face reality and take responsibility for themselves. Just my thoughts on the matter. Otherwise, interesting report.