Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butcher/meat questions page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

Butcher/meat questions

Primal Fuel
    How and where do you find a good source for meat? By a good source, I mean a good selection, there is still fat in and around the meat, you can ask the butcher a question and they won't roll their eyes or sigh and you can ask for special requests or ask for advice on how to select or cook something new.

If I shop at my gourmet health food store, the butcher's are just underpaid, annoyed employees. The meat is all surgically removed of fat. And why do they only have ribeye and NY steak? What happened to the rest of the cow?

If I shop at Whole Foods, there's no offal. I didn't see any grass-fed beef at all. Don't bother asking them any questions or you get attitude.

If I shop at the hippie food co-op the grass-fed meat is relatively inexpensive and less hoity-toity cuts, but it's all frozen. There is no butcher.

If you have a good relationship with a butcher, how did you find it? What kind of store do you shop in? Do you go to an old-fashioned meat market? Did you have to forgo the grass-fed/pastured stuff in order to find a decent butcher? Where do you get the offal?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Juniperarrow is offline Member
    Do you have a farmers market nearby? (even cities have farmers markets)
    I get my meats from our local one. They have several vendors from local grass fed farms and they sell all kinds of cuts and products (though usually for something like offal they may not have it with them but can bring it next time or if you call ahead and ask they could bring it). If you want something specific you can ask (even if it is not on their product list-I asked a local vendor about lard and I will get some next time even though lard isnt on their products list).
    That said the meat is frozen but usually cheaper than what you would get at a store.

I'm not bragging, but we have an old-time butcher close to where I live (and really close to where we hope to build a house). This last time I was there, we bought fresh ground beef...as in the cow walked in that morning. I have a cow that is just about done with her calf bearing years and is going to be going on a little ride (what fun!). No, I guess I am bragging. Look in your phone book, it might be worth a drive to a butcher shop, this place also has bulk prices, like 1/2 cows, front 1/4, back 1/4, so technically one trip every couple months would probably do.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    My husband found an actual butcher near us on yelp that is very close to us and is really helpful. He will get anything in that we want. That butcher also gave us the name of his supplier so we can order our 1/4 cow directly from the farm. They're pretty cool. It may be worth it to ask on a local forum like yelp or city-data.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    That's a good idea. We have a local forum where you can ask such questions. I'm pretty sure I already know what meat markets they will recommend, though. Should I just walk in and tell the butcher I'm an idiot trying to learn to be a better cook and I'm going to ask a lot of idiot questions so be nice? Have you found butchers to be fairly hip to the whole paleo thing?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    That's a good idea. We have a local forum where you can ask such questions. I'm pretty sure I already know what meat markets they will recommend, though. Should I just walk in and tell the butcher I'm an idiot trying to learn to be a better cook and I'm going to ask a lot of idiot questions so be nice? Have you found butchers to be fairly hip to the whole paleo thing?
    I'll have to ask my husband since he does all the food shopping. But, I know he loves the butcher we found. He and some of his coworkers have sort of gone off the paleo deep end when it comes to weird meats; they're constantly talking about their odd meat choices and new sources for them.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    We found the most amazing butcher through a friend. The prices are even about the same as the supermarket since there is no middle man, it comes straight from his farm to the shop. There are eggs as well. All meat and eggs are from free ranging/grassfeed/hormone free animals. All his sausages are made with no preservatives, just herbs and spices, and actual chunks of meat. There is a huge range of stuff, and if I can't see something he usually has it out the back. Everything is so fresh and delicious.
    I am so grateful to have found it. I do have drive an hour ish to get there, but I go about every 3 weeks, but its so worth it.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

peril is offline Senior Member
    Move out of California

No issue where I am. Butchers still get in whole beasts and you can get any cut you want, most of the time. Supermarkets just don't cut it in this regard
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Skip the butcher, call the farmer.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast