Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Butcher/meat questions page 2

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I absolutely LOVE my butcher. He's the best!

I found my butcher in a local flyer. Hunting is a way of life here come fall, so the first thing was to find out where the hunters (who have deer processed) go. A lot of folks here do it themselves, like we used to. Around deer season you see ads in local papers for deer processing. Some guys just do it out of their garage on a seasonal basis, and some of the butchers around here actually shut down their regular business to cater to deer hunters.

I contacted my butcher about having a deer processed, and the rest, as they say, is history.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    How about Mexican carnicerias? Have any of you tried one of those?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I would think a passionate butcher would be thrilled to talk about meat with you all day long
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Bron is offline Senior Member
    I live in a whole different country/hemisphere to you But I also live in a large rural town, in a big cattle producing area, so it's pretty much a given we'll have good beef here (both beef and dairy, yummo!)

Yesterday I picked up half a lamb, some mince, a full blade and some liver. I had a choice of lamb's fry, ox or yearling liver. I chose the lamb's fry (I'm not too thrilled on the strong taste) and gosh was it nice!

bikeirguy is offline Member
    sbhikes: You might want to check out your local "Edible" magazine. My butcher (who is awesome with a capital A) advertises in the Vancouver edition along with many other natural, organic, farm gate, etc. types. I found the online version for Santa Barbara: Edible Santa Barbara Magazine - Local Food Magazine of Santa Barbara California.

For everyone else (in North America, at least) you can check to see if your community has its own version here (dozens and dozens of cities): Edible Publications. It is certainly not a paleo/primal magazine, but, at least in Vancouver, the ads can guide you to many different sources of great food that fit within a paleo/primal lifestyle.
    Kevin

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
    William James
    US Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 1910)

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I am extremely lucky and have 3 really good butchers in my nearest town. My favourite one has a list of which 3 farms the beef has come from that day, and knows the source of all his meat. He cures his own nitrate-free bacon, gives me free bones to make stock, and always has offal available! Couldn't ask for more.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Even though I live in a semi-rural area surrounded by farms no-one has grass fed beef and there is a dearth of butchers on the high street. In fact there is a dearth of high street.

I rang around and I hunted on the internet, in the end I order my meat from a farm a couple of hundred miles away and pay for it to be delivered. Quite a depressing state of affairs really but I cannot see that I have a choice.

On a more positive note, I do have a fantastic contact for lamb and every autumn I drive out to him to get half a lamb, rare breed and short of being cuddled, very well looked after.
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you for that link to Edible. Passionate fisherman in Santa Barbara, heck yeah. But I think all the butchers are bored.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12