Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent fasting - I gave in page

Donnn is offline Senior Member

Intermittent fasting - I gave in

Shop Now
    After several years of pooh poohing IF as "skipping breakfast", I gave it a try. Now how is it that not eating is easier than eating three meals with no snacks? I started at 16/8 and I'm now at 20/4. It seems I'm headed for one meal a day.
    I didn't expect the clear and focused mind. I was paleo and LC, with too much alcohol at times. I felt good. Now I feel great.
    Last year my dad had problems with his cable box. I finally figured out that he was unplugging it at night, and preventing normal updates/maintenance. I wonder if that's analogous to seldom going more than 12 hours without food. With regular eating perhaps we never give our bodies a chance to perform certain repair and normalization processes.
    For me the paradigm shift is understanding fasting as normal, as opposed to something extra to do in addition to good diet and exercise.
    I was poor at predicting the suckiness of fasting. For me, a male and adapted to using fat as fuel, it was almost painless. I realize I was habitually attached to breakfast, but I was already adequately fueled in my morning fasted state.
    I've found starting the day with the discipline of fasting creates positive momentum for the day. Simply avoiding eating takes no planning or thought, just intention. With the positive reward of good food in the near future I do not have a sense of constantly using willpower to avoid over eating.

ninjas.rawk is offline Member
    Sunday I woke up and I didn't eat anything until 6:00 pm, and hadn't eating since 7:00 pm the night before. It wasn't intentional, I hadn't noticed I didn't eat and I didn't feel hungry. I felt great, had 4 hard boiled eggs and was good until Monday at 1:00 pm.
    Somewhere under all this fat is a strong, healthy, beautiful and sexy woman. The search for her begins now.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Good mindset:

"For me the paradigm shift is understanding fasting as normal, as opposed to something extra to do in addition to good diet and exercise."

I love paradigm shifts
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, actually eating breakfast is far more abnormal than normal. I eat it about 1-2x/week at most. Haven't had anything but coffee and cream today....think I'll eat in an hour or two though, that'd put me at 20hrs while doing yard work all day today (except for this brief respite online)

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnn View Post
    After several years of pooh poohing IF as "skipping breakfast", I gave it a try. Now how is it that not eating is easier than eating three meals with no snacks? I started at 16/8 and I'm now at 20/4. It seems I'm headed for one meal a day.
    I didn't expect the clear and focused mind. I was paleo and LC, with too much alcohol at times. I felt good. Now I feel great.
    Last year my dad had problems with his cable box. I finally figured out that he was unplugging it at night, and preventing normal updates/maintenance. I wonder if that's analogous to seldom going more than 12 hours without food. With regular eating perhaps we never give our bodies a chance to perform certain repair and normalization processes.
    For me the paradigm shift is understanding fasting as normal, as opposed to something extra to do in addition to good diet and exercise.
    I was poor at predicting the suckiness of fasting. For me, a male and adapted to using fat as fuel, it was almost painless. I realize I was habitually attached to breakfast, but I was already adequately fueled in my morning fasted state.
    I've found starting the day with the discipline of fasting creates positive momentum for the day. Simply avoiding eating takes no planning or thought, just intention. With the positive reward of good food in the near future I do not have a sense of constantly using willpower to avoid over eating.
    Good job of putting this into words. You may further notice that after a while it gets challenging to communicate with people who want to discuss all the minutia of nutrition. Itís just not that complicated.

daveforshee is offline Junior Member
    After a few months I have started IF without actually deciding "I am going to IF tomorrow." If I go to bed at 10PM and don't feel hungry until 2PM the next day, then so be it.

I love this: "I do not have a sense of constantly using willpower to avoid over eating." I bet you never hear that from anyone on a "diet".

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I found I am 'skipping breakfast' quite a bit. The hardest part for me is the 'mental hunger'. There's so much good food in my life now, sometimes I get frustrated with having to wait until I am actually hungry. When you have these great leftovers staring you in the face (right now I have beef chili, peppers and sausage, bacon-egg cups, AND lamb stew in the fridge) it can get pesky to shrug and say, 'nope, not hungry.'

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Well said, Donnn...pretty much my experience. I knew I had turned a corner when I was IFing and cooking my kids a really scrumptious omelet with bacon, and I didn't feel deprived or tempted...just knew I could have it later when I as hungry and my body did what it needed to do. Wouldn't have DREAMED of that a few months ago before PB. New paradigm indeed.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Habitually attached to breakfast. Same here. I just reprogrammed myself that I have to eat breakfast, and have to do it shortly after waking up. But I am finding I am not all that hungry then, and it makes for a long day when sometimes I get up at 4. And sometimes when I am up that early, I just like to chill.

So this morning, I just decided to go with it. I think we ate dinner around 6 last night. I didnt pay attention because I sure didnt think I would IF, since I barely know what it is & not even sure why it is yet, just learning. But anyways, decided to go with it since I wasnt hungry this morning, and I have been planting shrubs in my yard all morning. So I think by the time I eat, and I am starting to get hungry, it will be what? 18 hours? I did have some bulletproof coffee at 6ish. I dont want to go too long and then feel like I need to eat everything in sight.

I am getting a bit of a headache though. Not sure if that is due to not eating, or due to being outside, or just the physical work. I have bit of a cramp in my neck from all the bending, etc. so it might just be from that.

Anyways, now that I have done it, I am anxious to learn exactly what I just accomplished. I just started reading PB-21 day last night so if I read why, I dont remember it at the moment.

iamshazza is offline Junior Member
    Last year I fell into a pattern of IF without realizing I was doing it so it happened quite naturally. I'd often find myself with a cup or 2 of coffee in the mornings and not eating anything until the evening or maybe late afternoon.

I've gotten a little too far away from the Primal lifestyle over the past several months though. It's harder to do an IF for me when I'm just getting really back away from the carbs I shouldn't be eating so much of (pizza, chips, candy type stuff ya know).

So today has been my first true IF I've realized. Except again for my coffee with heavy cream. And I'm not hungry in the least. Yay, me! :-)
    "It's not a hill it's a mountain as we start out the climb..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast