Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did I get so sick last night? page

boxcarguy07 is online now Senior Member

Why did I get so sick last night?

Hey there... does anyone know if eating an avocado could make someone become violently ill?

I have never had problems with avocados before in my life. But last night I ate an avocado (along with some brocolli and coconut oil), and about an hour later I was vomiting, and continued to vomit throughout the night. After two vomiting spells, I was vomiting nothing but stomach bile each time. Also, it felt like my throat was closing up and I was very cold and weak feeling.

I'd hate to think I just all of a sudden developed an avocado allergy, because I love them. The one I ate last night though... the skin was a weird red color, and it tasted a little bitter. I ate it anyway because it wasn't THAT bad and I didn't want to waste it, but when I got to my last bite, the bitter taste was so bad I had to spit out. Perhaps some tannins leaked from the seed or something? I've tried searching for info but can't find anything beyond people saying they were allergic. Could this avocado maybe have had salmonella?

Bah. I'm just searching for answers because now I'm afraid to eat avocado anymore, because a repeat of last night would just SUCK! :-)
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    Hey there... does anyone know if eating an avocado could make someone become violently ill?

I have never had problems with avocados before in my life. But last night I ate an avocado (along with some brocolli and coconut oil), and about an hour later I was vomiting, and continued to vomit throughout the night. After two vomiting spells, I was vomiting nothing but stomach bile each time. Also, it felt like my throat was closing up and I was very cold and weak feeling.

I'd hate to think I just all of a sudden developed an avocado allergy, because I love them. The one I ate last night though... the skin was a weird red color, and it tasted a little bitter. I ate it anyway because it wasn't THAT bad and I didn't want to waste it, but when I got to my last bite, the bitter taste was so bad I had to spit out. Perhaps some tannins leaked from the seed or something? I've tried searching for info but can't find anything beyond people saying they were allergic. Could this avocado maybe have had salmonella?

Bah. I'm just searching for answers because now I'm afraid to eat avocado anymore, because a repeat of last night would just SUCK! :-)
    I thought I was allergic to some shellfish for a while, but when I actually reasearched it, I found this is a food poisoning response, NOT an allergic reaction. If you were allergic, you'd have symptoms like hives and itchy/inflamed throat. Salmonella is a possibility.

Faith S. is offline Junior Member
    While that avocado sounds like it was different from any I'd want to eat, it does sound more like food poisoning to me.

What did you eat earlier in the day? Food poisoning can take anywhere from 4 - 6 hours to set in, depending on the type. Also, do you feel better already? That could also be a clue to what's going on.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it was just a coincidence and you were hit by gastroenteritis - possibly norovirus. It can hit you pretty quickly without warning.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Faith S., yeah I've been thinking it was just this specific avocado... I should have just thrown it out. I do feel completely better now. When I first woke up this morning, I felt better except for a burning in my throat, no doubt due to the vomit itself. But I oil pulled with come coconut oil, hacked up some mucus from my throat, and now I feel good.

Earlier on in the day I ate

blueberries
    coconut oil and coconut butter
    a kiwi
    eggs
    grass-fed beef
    raw sauerkraut

the eggs and the beef were raw... I know what you are probably thinking, that either of those are the culprits, but I eat raw eggs and beef every day and never had a problem with them, and I trust my sources. The "off"ness of the avocado really makes me think it was that... although it is curious that my reaction was not long after eating the avocado, and I have read the same thing, that food poisoning can take 8-10 hours to set. Also the blueberries I ate were on sale, so I'm sure they must have been a little old? But they tasted fine
    Last edited by boxcarguy07; 04-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Sounds to me like you had Pittsburgisitis.

You should burn your carcass to prevent the spread of the infection.

Are all 3,658 posts of yours mindless crap?
    I've only seen you post in two threads and I already kind of hate you.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    Are all 3,658 posts of yours mindless crap?
    I've only seen you post in two threads and I already kind of hate you.
    Hahaha.

That's the spirit.

Only 41 posts and you've convinced me that you're a muppet.

So, how's the move to California coming along?

Making a lot of progress getting out of Pittsburgh?

Don't worry too much about your digestive system totally shutting down while eating raw paleo. It happens.

BTW do you include insects in your diet at all?

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Your post is so weird because last night I ate an advacado with my beef and it had gone a bit black but I guessed it was just bruised. Within 30 minutes I had crippling stomach pains (not something I normally suffer with) and had them on and off for the next 4 hours. I couldn't work out what I'd eaten as I literally had grass fed beef mince made into a burger and advacado made into guacamole with tomatoe and onion and nothing else.

Weird!
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    it sounds like food poisoning. Food poisoning reactions are usually not immediate either.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast