Page 1 of 167 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Minxxa page

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - Minxxa

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

So I've been lurking around here for months and feel like a stalker since I haven't introduced myself at all. (I did try to do this last week and my whole post didn't go through and I was too tired to write it again!)

I'm a 42 year old mother of two teenagers (17 girl, and 14 boy). Hubby is in the navy, currently deployed but will be back in a few weeks thank goodness! I work full time at a financial company (back office, administrative stuff), and am getting ready to go back to school for my Master's degree in Psychology - Counseling, specifically marraige and family therapy. (They really need to rename it to couples and family therapy, someday!)

I am hypothyroid (short story felt like crap and gained weight for 5 years, went to doc who tested and told me I was fine until I was so fatigued I couldn't see straight or function. Switched docs, retested, put on meds, etc. etc. getting better now!) I gained about 35 pounds during the hypothyroid/figuring out what's going on/doctor from hell phase. I've lost 15 of those, but it's slow going.

I actually dont' remember how I got to Mark's site, but I'm betting it was through The Great Fitness Experiment, which I used to read semi-regularly. That girl does crack me up. Anyway, through my doc I had started a nutritional program and in the process my nutritionist and I had decided to try me on an elimination diet. (another short story: massive bloating - like 7 months pregnant - starting 4 years ago getting slowly worse and more often until it was every day all day. Ex-doc stared blankly when I went to find out what's wrong.) In the process of the elimination diet, I got rid of all grains, dairy, alcohol and soda (story for another day, I am highly aware of it's toxic evilness). I lost 5 pounds in that 6 week period (first weight loss in 5 years.)

Started reading more about Primal during that time. I am no stranger to research and specificially to health and food type research, I've been slowly learning more and changing over the past 6 years or so. My hubby calls me the Google Queen because whenever I have a question, I go a-searching!

Have been fairly (80%) primal since then, after the first of the year it's been more like 90%.

(End of Part 1)

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

So for exercise... I have always been a big walker, though have been super busy with hubby away so don't get out as much.

Last summer I started taking jazz dance classes again (haven't gone in 15 years). So for me that's my main exercise (body weight exercises mostly, lots of core, lots of shoulder/chest workouts from pushups and pikes and just from holding arms properly-- you wouldn't believe how much that can work out your arms!) I go twice a week for 90 minutes.

I also walk the dog semi-regularly... and try to go on an outing for a hike once a week, however again since hubby's been gone weekends are pretty full with all of the stuff I can't manage all week (errands, groceries, cooking, cleaning, laundry, blah blah blah).

Three weeks ago I added a Body By Science once a week strength workout. I figured I could manage once a week for 5-10 minutes or so! (I definitely feel it when I do it though, those 5 minutes seem really LONG). I'm still finding my true high weight to be able to do to fatigue, but getting closer.

Two weeks ago I added sprints one day a week. Tabata sprints on the bike at the gym by my work, I go on the way home. Another 5 minute workout, but darn if I wasn't shaky and semi-nauseous for 45 minutes afterward!!

That's really it for exercise. With two teenage kidlets and having to do everything around the house and work it's just been a bit tiring. After hubby gets home hopefully I'll have more time to venture out a bit.

I'm not sure how I'm going to upkeep this journal. I'm not counting calories right now, but may start, at least for a week or so. But mostly just wanted to get in the game.

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Well, I WAS going to accuse you of stalking but now since youre out with it... we are okay. WHEW!

YAY for you on the masters! You may as well get more education in this crap economy! I almost have mine and its going to be REALLY FUN trying to find a job. Meh. Life will continue.

Random Q: Is it easier to raise boys or girls? I hear boys are difficult when they are young (energy and such) and girls are more difficult when they are older (attitudes/ teenage-ness)?

Random statement: 42 is my FAVE number and you rock for being it. Thats all.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

LOL... yeah, I was starting to creep myself out posting to people's journals like I knew them... urm... yeah...

And all this year whenever somebody asks my age I tell them I'm the answer to life, the universe and everything! (I get a lot of funny looks....)

boys and girls are definitely totally different. Not sure there is an easier/harder though. I think a combination of individual temperments (yes we come out of the womb with a personality), and honestly just how you raise them. I was pretty careful to be super consistent with my kids. They learned early on that if I asked them to stop doing something and they didn't, that there were immediate repercussions. (Nothing nasty, LOL, just a time out, or removal from the situation, that sort of thing.) I would also explain to them why I was doing someting or asking them to do something. Not so they could argue to change my mind but so they knew there was a reason for it. I think that helped a lot, especially with my daughter during the 11-13 age range. It also helped them to see I wasn't just being arbitrary about my decisions. Kids are smart, they understand a lot more than we give them credit for I think.

On the other hand I may have just been super lucky!! My daughter's getting ready to go to college this fall, and we have a pretty good relationship. And my son is 14, but still a sweetheart (I just can't tell him that or he'll get embarrassed by mom!)

I'll tell you if my opinions change when my son gets to be 16 or 17 and starts dating. ACK!!

Um Minxxa we pretty much just became friends. Just sayin'. HHGTTG is one of my fave books and I have "42" tattooed on my heel! Yes, I love it that much! International towel day is May 25th, just so you know.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

I did not know that! Hmm... what to do to celebrate?

I'll figure something out...

I think you just carry a towel around. And get more funny looks!

So, meals so far today:

Protein shake for breakfast (whey protein, almond milk, water). Can't get more complex as my blender broke and we haven't gotten around to replacing. This isn't a usual breakfast for me, more a goto for when I'm low on other stuff.

Usually... I cook on Sundays. Veggies, some meats like chicken or steak, a dish like shepherd's pie or meatballs and spaghetti squash. Then I usually have enough for most of the week. I also usually cook up eggs and bacon for breakfasts. Well, it's friday and I'm about out of cooked stuff. So my last big of eggs and bacon is going to be lunch, so protein shake for breakfast.

Dinner will have to be out today as it's my long day and I won't be home until 8:30 or 9:00 tonight. Usually if I HAVE to go out I'll get something small like some nuts or jerky to hold me over, we'll see. I'm still trying to figure out some more travelable foods to have on hand. I like the idea of jerky but havne't made any and all the stuff I see that I can buy in stores has crazy bad icky stuff in it.

I am seriously considering trying to find all the makings to do my own jerky. Haven't had the time to figure out what I need or try to find it cheap yet. Maybe a project for this weekend, after the huge giant avalanche-worthy mound of filing on my desk that needs to get put away before it topples over and buries one of the kidlets.

I may have let some things go while the hubby was gone. :-/

We won't talk about the lawn... um, amazon, in the backyard. The pupper likes it she thinks she's a hunter.

So I ended up finishing dinner last night with some greek yogurt. I wasn't too hungry so didn't want a big meal. I'm wavering about keeping dairy at all, but I only really use a tiny bit of butter (tend to cook in coconut oil and bacon grease. MMMMMMMMm bacon...) and the greek yogurt. When I did my elimination diet yogurt didn't seem to affect me at all. And it's sooooooooooo good!! It's like my version of ice cream. Actually I like it better than ice cream, so we'll see. Would hate to eliminate EVERYTHING I love!

I did also have three glasses of wine last night. No bueno.

So this morning woke up and cooked breakfast for me and the boy. We had bacon (I had two) and eggs (scrambled for him and 3 fried for me). So now I feel very full and satiated.

So... I had fallen off the wagon with diet coke again. :-( so today is the first day back on. Had some Jasmine tea this morning and will pack some water to take on my errands today. The hard part is breaking the connection with getting a diet coke and going out to do errands. Used to be my first stop. Now every time i go out to run around it's the first thing I want to do. Dont' do it most of the time, but still... constant battle!

With my husband away (he's in the last few weeks of a 6 month deployment), it tends to get overwhelming and exhausting by the end. It's hard to explain, but having to take care of everything all of the time (including kids and dogs) with no assistance just gets difficult. Plus this tour he managed to miss every single holiday, birthday, and this upcoming week our anniversary. Blyeah. I haven't even felt like celebrating any of them at all. (Had to for thanksgiving and xmas for the kids' sake!)

Okay... off to do errands! ::will not get diet coke::

I used to say that there were giraffes hiding in my backyard. I LITERALLY had to take a scythe to it once. You would think those things would be sharper.

Page 1 of 167 1231151101 ... LastLast