Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RAW dog food recipe and cost! page

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I made RAW dog food today! So healthy for my adorable pup and really economical.

-Everything here is raw except the canned macherel and the frozen spinach.-

$2.22 1.1 lb beef

$1.02 1 lb chicken hearts and giblets

$1.49 1 lb beef liver

$1.89 1 can mackerel (reg can size...?)

$0.75 frozen spinach

$0.70 5 large carrots

$0.50 1/2 med sweet potato

$0.45 1/2 bunch parsley

$0.25 3 eggs

FREE 12 eggshells

FREE 7 extra yolks

Put everything in the food processor separately, then added to a big bowl. MIX. Its like meatloaf, lol.

She gets 3.5 ounces of this per day (3-4% of total body weight in food per day). 7.5lb doggie x 16oz x .03= ~3.5oz.

It made 5lb, 14oz food.

I portioned it out with an ice cream scoop and am freezing it. Will thaw for puppy when she eats.

Thats enough for a month!!! Great quality, RAW, grain-free dog food for $9.27 a month!

Awesome.

I have pics on my FB page in "mobile uploads" if you wanna see it.

*My pup is allergic to grains. Evidence: she gnaws her skin very badly when she eats grains, even half a milkbone. Like scabby and gross. So after multiple rounds of switching her food and many costly vet visits I decided to just do it myself (my solution most of the time these days for everything). Now, she's all better! Its miraculous really.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

jrherring is offline Senior Member

Make sure she gets raw meaty bones to gnaw on. This'll help with her teeth and give her something to do. I get the beef ribs, usually 3 - 4 to a pack for a couple of bucks. They range from 6 - 8 inches long.

Thank you for feeding your pup as good as you've been feeding yourself!

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

She literally tries to swallow everything whole. And I have tried bones and she just looks at them like "wtf MOM?!"

Its sad a little, b/c I wish I could re-adjust her. I keep trying but no luck so far, and its been a while.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

She's gonna need some bones too (RMBs where the bone is eaten with the meal). I love feeding our dogs a raw diet...it's just too labor intensive right now with 19 of them. Chicken frames/backs + raw meat + green tripe + random offal + a little veggie mash (optional but DH liked to do it).

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Yeah the bones again.

I was SO exited but no go. STILL no go. Sigh.

She is 10 and kibble fed untile a few months ago so I suppose she just *doesnt know what to do with them*.

Dogs have to learn to chew. Think about kibble...gulp gulp it's gone.

Bones, chunks of meat...chew chew, gnaw gnaw. The first time I put down a whole talipia for Mikey, he backed up and barked his head off at it. (he was about 3 months old) Then, after glancing at Allie who had hers propped up between her front feet chewing on the head, he pulled it out of his pan, let it flop down, barked some more,then took it and RAN to the back part of the yard for some privacy while he figured it out!

Dogs get calcium and minerals from the bones. Make sure she gets bones big enough she can't swallow and let her have some fun figuring it out.

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

Maybe I need to get her a play/feed date with a dog to show her how! LOL. Ill keep trying but its no looking good. Its okay though, even if she doesnt figure it out shes way better off than most pups!

Ill even admit I tried to show her how by gnawing on it myself! hahahaaa

Tarlach is offline Member

Dogs are carnivores and do not have the digestive enzymes to break down raw vegetables. You'll probably find that if you leave the veggies out your dog will get just as much from the meat potion of the mixture (and it will end up cheaper).

Otherwise it sounds great. When we had a dog we fed him mince, liver, whole eggs and tinned sardines in olive oil.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Wow! That's dedication! Yah for you!

My old dog who passed a couple of yrs ago didn't take to it either so after he was diagnosed w/kidney failure, I half cooked chicken and burger for him. He had horrible allergies similar to what you described.

When we got Allie at 2 months, I immediately switched her. Did the same with the boys when they came along. Started them young.

@kennelmom...19 is a large # of dogs! I wonder if you've tried prepackaging their meals? So, it's a freeze, thaw, drop in pan? I have a couple of friends who do it that way. Just thinking out loud...

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

I just need to calculate the Ca++ in the food! I know thats she needs about the same amout I do daily. So I added the eggshells and I may get bone meal powder to add to the food. Ill see. Eggshells are um, free though. Soooo...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast