Thread: Pigs head - ideas please? page

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member

Pigs head - ideas please?

Shop Now
    Local butcher has a pigs head available tomorrow for next to nothing. Do any of you lovely people have some ideas on what to do with this thing?
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Ooooo...
    Cheeks on or cheeks off?
    Tongue in or out?

I'd probably do brawn. Brawn Recipe (AKA pigs head terrine) The Pantry Newmarket

As far as I know it comes with everything, I hope so anyway!

The brawn looks awesome, assume this is the same thing as headcheese? I'll give it a bash and see how things go, though i'm not sure I have a large enough pot!
    Last edited by smilingjustalittlebit; 04-17-2012 at 01:21 AM.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Ooooo...
    Cheeks on or cheeks off?
    Tongue in or out?

I'd probably do brawn. Brawn Recipe (AKA pigs head terrine) The Pantry Newmarket
    Oooh.. I am going to do this. They sell pigs heads at the market. I will have to wait for an opportunity to feed a reasonable number of people in one go, as it is too much for me. But I am definitely going to cook this, come what may.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    ooooh, I'd probably give it a burial. Not sure I could cope with a decapitated pigs head but thats just me!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

I'm a little squeamish but determined to start properly making the most from the animals I eat. I've started gutting and butchering te rabbits the gamekeeper where I live brings to me and while it's not exactly pleasant, I'm getting better at it and I enjoy the resulting food much more because of the effort put in.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    HEAD CHEESE!!!!!!!!
    (which is not actually cheese).

It's so good. Essentially, it's all those tasty parts of the pigs head in aspic. Done right, it's INCREDIBLE.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    My dogs love them raw :-D

Could whack it in the slow cooker with your favourite spices and herbs. Find a good pulled pork recipe maybe..

This sounds good: Crisp Roasted Pig's Head recipe
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/