Thread: low calorie salad dressing page

121084437 is offline Junior Member

low calorie salad dressing

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I have never really eaten many salads throughout my life. Always just cooked my vegetables. I am going to try them out consistently since they seem quick and easy to throw together. I only use vegetables such as tomato, lettuce, cucumber, capsicum etc. No meats, nuts etc are included.

However I can't justify fat laden/calorie dense dressings. I prefer to get my calories from other things. I just want to add a little flavor. I have heard that some people just add red wine vinegar. I've never had it but it sounds like it could work.

Any ideas?

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Sure. All kinds of vinegar are great. Personally, I dump on lots of olive oil. I think at least some would make your salad tastier. Calories are not a worry in Primal.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    so a veggie salad with nuts, no meat, and no calorie dressing. weird, but okay! squirt some lemon over it, sprinkle some herbs in it, give it a stir. personally, if i'm going to eat a salad, i'm going to spend some calories on the dressing. but hey, that's me. i would also skip the nuts. they're the polite fiction of primal - not that healthy.

121084437 is offline Junior Member
    Sure. All kinds of vinegar are great. Personally, I dump on lots of olive oil. I think at least some would make your salad tastier. Calories are not a worry in Primal.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    so a veggie salad with nuts, no meat, and no calorie dressing. weird, but okay! squirt some lemon over it, sprinkle some herbs in it, give it a stir. personally, if i'm going to eat a salad, i'm going to spend some calories on the dressing. but hey, that's me. i would also skip the nuts. they're the polite fiction of primal - not that healthy.
    Sorry - I didn't word my post properly. No meats or nuts are included - only vegetables. I want to use them to increase my vegetable intake which is why I don't include anything else. I prefer to eat my meat separate. I will try the lemon juice, that sounds good. In the past I have just steamed/roasted/crock potted vegetables and ate them plain. I am a simple eater.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    try finding some veggies that add lots of flavor and juiciness to salad and you won't even need dressing. my go-to options are usually banana peppers or olives, but pickles, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes, etc. will all work to cut the earthiness of the salad and make a delicious, dressing free bite. if you must have some sort of dressing, try salsa.

RennieVan is offline Member
    Lemon or lime juice squeezed right on top of my salad works for me! Sea salt ground over top of the whole thing makes it even yummier. My salads don't feel complete without onions or banana peppers. They give the salad a nice zing that makes you forget about dressing.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I like a little oil on my salads, but not much. I don't like it to feel or taste greasy. I just drizzle a little oil on and toss so the leaves are very lightly coated. Then I season with salt and pepper and splash on a little vinegar or lemon juice. Putting the oil on first helps all the seasonings adhere and you can get away with using very little. I probably use less than a teaspoon of oil for a big salad.

I know this may horrify many primal folks who like to get a nice dose of fat with their veg, but I just don't like the texture of gobs of dressing. Even with a creamy dressing like a caesar, I'll still toss everything really well so there's a light coat on everything and no big dollops of fat.