Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smells and tastes are changing page

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member

Smells and tastes are changing

I haven't converted the whole fam to Primal eating yet, just wanting to get it down myself first and hopefully slowly wean them off of the crap and onto good Primal food. Baby steps.....

But, I have noticed that a lot of the things I make for them now smell horrible to me. I'm sitting here thinking "I can't believe I used to eat that.......I can't believe I'm about to feed this to my kids!" A lot of things are starting to smell downright awful. I think I read before that this is pretty normal, right?

Lillo is offline Member
    I feel ya. I took a big bite of flaked coconut today. Turns out it was sweetened. It tasted like shit. Oh yeah!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillo View Post
    I feel ya. I took a big bite of flaked coconut today. Turns out it was sweetened. It tasted like shit. Oh yeah!
    lol!!! Nice to know that at some point, eating sweets will actually be more of a turn off than a turn on, lol!!!

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed the change in smell thing. After a few months of eating this way I've become more sensitive, or maybe it's aware, of earthy smells and other natural scents. The same thing goes for tastes of that nature, and I welcome the change.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    My husband is a sweet tea addict. He only ate PB about one week until I FINALLY made some tea for him (since he was so good to give up his 2 Cokes, huge bowl of ice cream, countless cookies and candy per day-- and he's skinny, 5'11" 155 lbs.). I used 1/2 the normal amount of sugar and he said it was plenty sweet! He couldn't believe it was only 1/2 the normal amount.

Tastes change quickly with PB.

Last night, my favorite broccoli salad (with sweet dressing and sweetened, dried cherries) tasted like crap! I was using it as a treat for being PB for 2 solid weeks -- two small bites and I didn't even want it. Come to think of it, food should never be a treat. It's food -- nourishment, a necessity. Why do we ever consider something "a treat" or even a "cheat?" It's all food and nothing magic about it.

I'm 2 wks. PB and something about frying eggs "stinks to me."
    Last edited by Chatty; 04-17-2012 at 06:11 AM.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatty View Post
    Come to think of it, food should never be a treat. It's food -- nourishment, a necessity. Why do we ever consider something "a treat" or even a "cheat?" It's all food and nothing magic about it.
    +10000

it's so easy to turn foods into treats. I've been trying to reward myself with non-food treats

polos26 is offline Senior Member
    I have also been trying to reward myself with non-food treats....its not working out! the dent in my pocket is no bueno. since I lost almost 20lbs I feel compeled to buy new clothes every chance I get!
    Loving my primal life

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    I feel ya. I got plenty surprised when I realized that my morning eggs were actually sweet to me all of a sudden! Before I went on Paleo, most high-fat foods tasted outright bad, but today I gore down avocado, bacon, eggs, and it all taste sweeter than any candy I've ever had for some reason. Oh, and I had another pleasant surprise the other day when I ate a spoonful of condensed coconut milk from the fridge. It. Tasted. Just. Like. Icecream. How that even is possible I don't even.

I still haven't gotten past the phace where sweets taste good, but I had a small portion of spaghetti yesterday.. I didn't taste anything. Unless if you count the look of bread dough as a taste, lol.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Shock to the system, isn't it?! I am a 'supertaster' and had a very sensitive nose before Primal, now it is just ridiculous. Red onions taste like sweeties to me now! The smell of bananas makes me really gag (they always made me feel a bit off), I can no longer eat pineapples. Any chocolate under about 70% is so sweet and sickly I cannot eat it.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The smell of typical fried american fast food makes me want to puke now
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast