Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown or White Sugar? Or does it matter? page

harambur is offline Member

Brown or White Sugar? Or does it matter?

I know Mark recommends white rice when ever we elect to consume rice, because the processed rice has the stem thingie that is bad for you removed.

But what about sugar? If I want to have a little bit of sugar in my coffee every day, should I go with brown organic, or processed white?

Thanks.

Hans.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Where sugars are concerned the LEAST processed is better IMO... turbinado/demerara/muscavado, molasses, real maple syrup, honey.

"brown sugar" is just refined white sugar with molasses added to it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    brown and white sugar are the same crap.

Timthetaco Guest
    Brown sugar is whole grain, lower in calories and gives you a much more pleasing sugar crash. It's helpful for weight management as well.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    haha. What timthetaco said!

Sugar is sugar. Use it very sparingly.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Hmm you know I've always loved brown sugar way more then white sugar.. after this I think I need to buy some molasses.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I agree that when it comes to sugar, unlike grains, the least processed the better.
    The difference has to do with the fact that with grains (rice), the outer coating contains anti-nutrients to protect it from being eaten by animals or insects. That outer coating is also made of indigestible fiber and can cause problems in the intestinal tract, such as binding to nutrients rendering them completely unavailable. Grains that don't have an 'outer covering' like rice (corn, quinoa, etc) must be prepared or 'predigested' to make them safer to eat. There is a great book called 'Nourishing Traditions' by Sally Fallon that has more detailed info on this if you're interested.

Sugar is a different thing all together, because sugar is essentially the juice that is extracted from pressing the fibrous insides of the sugar cane. The outer coating (the cane) and the fiber has been elimininated. This sugar liquid contains both glucose (the white 'sweet' part of sugar) and a TON of minerals and nutrients. Either they separate these nutrients and sell them as molasses and sell the glucose part as white sugar, or everything is kept intact as a raw, whole brown unprocessed sugar teeming with both sweetness and minerals like iron, potassium, etc...

The trouble with most 'brown' sugars is that the sugar is superprocessed. The 'molasses' part of the sugar is extracted and then a small part of it is added back to the white glucose to create what we know as 'brown sugar'. Another major problem with 'table sugar' in my opinion is that it's all GMO and likely not derived solely from sugar cane anymore, but from corn products (not to be confused with high fructose corn syrup).

In conclusion, if you are going to use some sugar (which I think is perfectly fine, and not a devil by any means when taken in small doses), I'd go for organic sugar (to ensure that it's not GMO) and for one that's the least processed and in it's 'whole' state.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    brown and white sugar are the same crap.
    This ....I sweeten my coffee with raw honey. If you drop a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee each day a bit of crap is probably OK though Make it part of your 20% if your rolling like that.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I agree that when it comes to sugar, unlike grains, the least processed the better.
    The difference has to do with the fact that with grains (rice), the outer coating contains anti-nutrients to protect it from being eaten by animals or insects. That outer coating is also made of indigestible fiber and can cause problems in the intestinal tract, such as binding to nutrients rendering them completely unavailable. Grains that don't have an 'outer covering' like rice (corn, quinoa, etc) must be prepared or 'predigested' to make them safer to eat. There is a great book called 'Nourishing Traditions' by Sally Fallon that has more detailed info on this if you're interested.

Sugar is a different thing all together, because sugar is essentially the juice that is extracted from pressing the fibrous insides of the sugar cane. The outer coating (the cane) and the fiber has been elimininated. This sugar liquid contains both glucose (the white 'sweet' part of sugar) and a TON of minerals and nutrients. Either they separate these nutrients and sell them as molasses and sell the glucose part as white sugar, or everything is kept intact as a raw, whole brown unprocessed sugar teeming with both sweetness and minerals like iron, potassium, etc...

The trouble with most 'brown' sugars is that the sugar is superprocessed. The 'molasses' part of the sugar is extracted and then a small part of it is added back to the white glucose to create what we know as 'brown sugar'. Another major problem with 'table sugar' in my opinion is that it's all GMO and likely not derived solely from sugar cane anymore, but from corn products (not to be confused with high fructose corn syrup).

In conclusion, if you are going to use some sugar (which I think is perfectly fine, and not a devil by any means when taken in small doses), I'd go for organic sugar (to ensure that it's not GMO) and for one that's the least processed and in it's 'whole' state.
    The sugar in cane sugar is sucrose, not glucose. Sucrose is disaccharide consisting of a glucose and a fructose molecule bound together, so it's 50:50. It's fructose that's harmful in quantity when quickly absorbed.

That's why starch (with the toxins eliminated) is considered a much healthier source of carbs than sucrose or fructose, when consumed in the right context.

Agreed, molasses is the most micronutrient-dense form of sugar so it's a good choice, eaten in moderation.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, you're right. I keep switching glucose and sucrose for some reason. Thanks for the correction!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast