Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Is Primal The *right* Diet? page 2

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by willsplath View Post
    I was reading the blog here, and mark mentioned that "Of course, there is the fact that, though the Primal way is the right way..." I'll post a link to the post at the bottom of this post.

I'm really trying to sort through everything out there...on a research mission and this statement came of very arrogant for the primal world. EVERYONE, claims that their diet is the *right* one, and many of them have scientific data to back it up.

Just because the primal diet works for certain people, doesn't mean it works for other people. There are PLENTY of people I know who after eating meat (healthy, grassfed, free range) feel like crap and get constipated. These people also do not eat grains. These people excercise, they get plenty of sleep...BUT, they do not function well eating animal products. They function much better and thrive and their blood work is great while eating a raw vegan diet.

I guess I just want some feedback because every decade has it's *right* diets, how can we know for sure that the primal diet is THE diet for everyone when it clearly isn't?
    screw "right" diets! the benefits of this diet are avoiding plant toxins and eating whole foods. some people fail on both counts and still call it primal/paleo/grok/whatever. try it out - if it doesn't work for you, then it's not the "right" diet. life is short and your health and happiness are in your hands - no one else's.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Do it for a month. See how you feel.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    There are plenty of right diets. Pick one and roll with it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal seems to make the most sense to me, even if you dont count any science.. How can you go wrong with a diet based on whole nutrient dense foods? Also clearly we've been eating animal products for centries and most of the vegan foods have only been created by humans. To me Natural makes sense, man made does not. So.. animal products just seem right..as do veggies and fruit. Almost all grain products are heavily processed or were modified greatly over the last century.

As for your vegan friends not being able to eat meat. They probably dont have the digestion capability to handle it since they've gone so long without it. They would probably be fine if they introduced them slowly. Animal products are incredibly nutrient dense foods... that have loads of benefits and all traditional diets have consumed them. So again makes sense.. traditional, natural foods.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willsplath View Post
    I guess I just want some feedback because every decade has it's *right* diets, how can we know for sure that the primal diet is THE diet for everyone when it clearly isn't?
    I liked his reference to "every decade" having right diets, when asking a facetious question about the viability of a diet thousands of decades old (or at least informed by a diet thousands of decades old). Am I the only one who sees the irony? Good one, Mr. Troll.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I liked his reference to "every decade" having right diets, when asking a facetious question about the viability of a diet thousands of decades old (or at least informed by a diet thousands of decades old). Am I the only one who sees the irony? Good one, Mr. Troll.
    I'm really getting tired of everyone that questions any part of the primal diet/lifestyle being named a troll.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Team Oberg is offline Senior Member
    Clearly you already had your mind made up about this subject before even posting, so why bother trying to stir up shit?
    *I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.*
    Marilyn Monroe

willsplath is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Oberg View Post
    Clearly you already had your mind made up about this subject before even posting, so why bother trying to stir up shit?
    For one thing, I DON'T have my mind made up. I was just pointing out something I stumbled across in an article and wanted to know if anyone else could let me in on what people really think about the Primal diet.

For another thing, to the person who suggested I was a troll, I'm not. I am in fact, NOT vegan, OR vegetarian. I am honestly looking for answers and what to find a diet that feels good to me. But I don't just jump into stuff like this unless I get a decent amount of my questions answered first because I'm not gullible...and maybe to a fault but I'm always skeptical about certain things. It's just my nature.

I repeat: I'm not a troll, I'm not vegan, I'm not vegetarian. I'll move onto some other comments with my next post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mayo View Post
    Now, as a counter to your raw vegan friends, I would pose this question...If a raw vegan diet is how we are supposed to eat, how come you can't do it without a pill, namely vitamin B12, which is only found in animals. If they don't take this pill and continue to eat raw vegan, they have a future life expectancy of no more than 3 years.
    Some of them do take B12, but quite a few of them have their own gardens and frequently eat from them without washing the produce at all. It's been enough to keep their levels within the good range...several of them have had their blood tested just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalPotter View Post
    If it "clearly isn't THE diet for everyone", why ask the question?

But since you did, the best way to know if it works for you, is to try it. It's not really about "diet" so much as it is about lifestyle. Many people, Primal & not, get way too fixated on the meat. Yes, we eat meat...and a lot of plants, too. Also fruit, nuts, seeds, root vegetables and some of us even eat (horrors!) dairy. Generally speaking, we do not eat grains or legumes of any kind. But there are probably some folks on this list who do eat some grains on a regular basis. I ate some corn chips & dip at a party, once. I was hungry & there wasn't anything else to eat. One day out of 365 isn't going to kill me. In general, I don't eat grains. The rest of the "why" you'll just have to research for yourself.

Have I ever gotten constipated while eating Primal? Yes. It was my body telling me to eat more vegetables.

Have I ever gotten diarrhea while eating Primal? Yes. It was my body telling me to eat more fiber, like a sweet potato.

Have I ever gained weight while eating Primal? Yes. It was my body telling me to lay off the nuts.

If people came out of boxes one-size-fits-all it would be really simple to know what's best for our bodies. I don't really care what other people choose to eat. I choose to eat an ancestral diet, and I do know that my general health is better than some of my veg friends, although they would argue that their aches & pains & constant headaches have nothing to do with their diet, or the fact that I look 10 years younger than my friend who is 8 years younger than me, is pure coincidence. That's fine. Believe what you want.

Mark is passionate, and smart, not arrogant. It's possible to mistake commitment to an idea for arrogance, particularly when you read something & can't see a person's face or hear the inflection in their voice when they are speaking. I have been fortunate to meet the man. I found him to be extremely encouraging, kind and self-effacing. Plus a total hunk of eye-candy. Seriously, we should all look so good at his age.
    I really liked what you had to say here, thank you for answering respectfully as others did not.

And to answer the question why I even asked, it's because I have gotten the feeling around here that if a person doesn't eat primal, then they are unhealthy and deficient even if they don't know it...even if people who eat a different diet have completely normal blood levels. I guess I was kinda frustrated because everyone I talk to in real life about this or on other forums just won't have a "real" conversation with me and admit that it may not be the perfect diet one-size-fits-all. I just wanted to here someone from the primal camp say so...that's all...and I wanted to start dialogue in case I have missed something that I should be aware of...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast