Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much fat? page

bchanel is offline Member

How much fat?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You'll have to forgive my years of reading fitness magazines and diet books. I'm not necessarily afraid of eating fat, I just want to make sure that I'm eating the right amount for both furlong my body and weight loss. I feel a "bad, " for eating so much fun, but I'm loving it! Anyways, I am 5'7" and currently weigh 160. I am wanting to lose 25-30 pounds. I exercise moderately. What's a rough estimate of how much fat or how many fat sources I should be eating? Today, I've had a serving (approx. 1/4 cup) of almonds and I just had a T of coconut oil (tum!). I plan on eating 1/2 an avocado with dinner. In addition, I'm eating plenty of protein and veggies. Is my fat too low/high/about right? Thanks!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'd say it all depends on what the rest of your days worth of food looks like. Did you have any fatty beef? Eggs? Cook in butter? All these would be fine if you added them in. One of the biggies to get use to is actually purposely selecting fatty meat. This is an important point IMO. All the other fats come after that.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Many people here eat 40-60% of their daily calories from fat. Some do a bit more or a bit less, but I would say 50-60% is a good place to start.

I use fatty cuts of meat,ghee, avocados and some coconut milk as my major sources of fat
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I eat probably 30-40% of my calories as fat on average, and the majority of that comes from cuts of fatty meat and animal products. I cook everything in butter and frequently use butter and heavy cream for sauces and so on. Ever have a ribeye with a homemade garlic and butter cream sauce? It's amazing. The same thing can be said for a big largemouth fresh out of the lake that has a garlic and pepper sauce covering it. In my opinion, fats from natural cuts of meat and so on come first, then dairy products, and then last place would be things like olive oil, coconut oil, and other things I'd list as condiments and flavor enhancers.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i think there's a distinction to be made between not fearing fat and eating foods with good natural fats, on the one hand, and specifically adding in more fat to foods that don't need it (extra butter, shots of coconut oil), on the other. the former is fine, that latter is where folks often get mired in why-is-this-diet-not-working land.

but really, it all comes down to how much food you're eating, and what you're eating. you need fuel from either fat or carbs, so as one increases or decreases, the other must change as well.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    There is no right amount of fat. Eat what it takes so you're full and not snacking. There's no requirement for Primal to be a high fat diet. The emphasis here is on eating real, whole foods and avoiding man-made frankenfoods like processed oils, isolated sugars, flours (be them grain flours, bean flours, nut flours, etc), legumes and the like. If you want chicken breast and sweet potatoes, that's just as good as steak and avocados if you find it keeps you full and energetic all day long. I use very little oils and fat sources and eat meats, fruits, starches and vegetables, so my fat intake is probably around 30% daily calories on average. That's probably half of what a lot of Primals eat, but I consider oils to be processed foods that are largely full of empty calories. My focus is on whole foods first - yogurt over butter, olives over olive oil, coconut over coconut oil, pork over lard, etc. Any fats I do use is typically grass fed butter and an 8oz block will last me a month. YMMV.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i think there's a distinction to be made between not fearing fat and eating foods with good natural fats, on the one hand, and specifically adding in more fat to foods that don't need it (extra butter, shots of coconut oil), on the other. the former is fine, that latter is where folks often get mired in why-is-this-diet-not-working land.

but really, it all comes down to how much food you're eating, and what you're eating. you need fuel from either fat or carbs, so as one increases or decreases, the other must change as well.
    + 1

You should always try to get your macro-nutrients from sources that are also highly dense in micro-nutrients. Favor grassfed beef over spoons of coconut oil or butter and eat sweet potatoes instead of something like white rice ( No offense white rice, I love you, but your micro profile stinks) and you'll be on the right track.

Jakey makes a good point about portions too. You can't just throw an extra 500 or more calories into your diet and expect the weight to fall off, because in most cases it wont. If you eat higher fat then reduce your carb intake accordingly, and if you eat more carbs then back off on the fat. Protein is something you should try to keep steady though, but the animal content of this diet makes protein something you generally don't need to worry about.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

bchanel is offline Member
    Thank you for all the replies! It seems as though as long as you're eating a diet in whole, unprocessed foods things should more or less fall into place and avoiding carbs (wheat products, rice, oatmeal, etc.) and eating meats, vegetables, fruits and healthy fats, then a certain percentage doesn't matter too much.

polos26 is offline Senior Member
    oh oh...I am glad you posted this questions and the answers! I am starting to see why I am having a problem. according to what I have put into fit day I have been having about 75% of calories from fat..and I do add extra butter and sometimes coconut oil as well to my 85/15% beef, its no wonder the fat is just not coming off.
    Loving my primal life

Dailytribal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    There is no right amount of fat. Eat what it takes so you're full and not snacking. There's no requirement for Primal to be a high fat diet. The emphasis here is on eating real, whole foods and avoiding man-made frankenfoods like processed oils, isolated sugars, flours (be them grain flours, bean flours, nut flours, etc), legumes and the like. If you want chicken breast and sweet potatoes, that's just as good as steak and avocados if you find it keeps you full and energetic all day long. I use very little oils and fat sources and eat meats, fruits, starches and vegetables, so my fat intake is probably around 30% daily calories on average. That's probably half of what a lot of Primals eat, but I consider oils to be processed foods that are largely full of empty calories. My focus is on whole foods first - yogurt over butter, olives over olive oil, coconut over coconut oil, pork over lard, etc. Any fats I do use is typically grass fed butter and an 8oz block will last me a month. YMMV.
    wouldn't yogurt be man made also?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast