Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit a plateau, help? page

noisyninja is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I'm 3-4 weeks in and I seem to have hit a plateau. My weight has been hovering around 349 for about ten days now. I'm 6'4". I do low-level exercise five days a week (a walk, 2-3mph, for 20-30 minutes each morning before breakfast), strength training three times a week (20-30 minutes each session, just before lunch). I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch five days a week, the dinner changes slightly:

BREAKFAST

1x hard-boiled egg

2x crustless mini-quiche (eggs, crumbled bacon, peppers, onions)

10x blueberries

2x strawberries

1x banana

LUNCH

1x 8oz oven-baked chicken breast

6x broccoli florets, steamed

4x baby carrots, steamed

1x 8oz cup of green tea (sometime in the afternoon)

DINNER

1x 8-10oz NY strip steak

6x broccoli florets, steamed

4x baby carrots, steamed

4-6x mushroom slices, sauteed in butter and garlic

And most nights I have a very small piece of dark chocolate shortly before bed. The piece is generally 2" by 1" in size. All food is organic.

I plugged all of this into a calorie counter and it came up with roughly 1900 calories. I calculated my basal metabolic rate using an online calculator and came up with 2600. Not sure how accurate these measurements are, I've not really paid much attention to calorie counting.

So... any ideas? The resident health nut at the office suggested I look at carb cycling, and I've read up a bit on it. It sounds like it works for some people, but I'm not sure if it will work for me. Any advice would be appreciated though.

I started strong, dropped a lot of weight, but now I feel a bit stuck. If I just need to stick with it and the pounds will eventually start coming off again, that's fine, I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong here.

Oh, forgot to mention: aside from the cup of tea in the afternoon, water is the only liquid I drink.

Ok, I promise, last post haha. The calculator reported 92.7g of fat, 84.3g of carbs, 158.9g of protein, if that info helps. Thanks everyone!

mia
    mia is offline Junior Member

Some ideas:

1. Maybe do some IF, either for 24 hours or something like Fast 5 http://www.fast-5.com/ or alternatively skip dinner for a couple of days and sleep early (has always worked for me)

2. Do for a really really long walk, maybe on a Sunday

3. Go to sleep early

4. Drink more water

5. Skip the fruit for breakfast (ie try and get to below 50g carbs for a few days)

6. Do strength training only once or twice a week

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

I'm surprised that there's 92 grams of fat in that menu. Seems like there'd be a lot less.

I would buy some coconut oil and have a couple spoonfuls of that per day as well. If the online calculator is accurate, a daily 700 calorie deficit might be too much. You can eat at or above maintenance level a few times per week as long as the extra calories come mostly from fat and some protein. When the body is chronically deprived of calories it tends to start hanging onto its fat stores. You want to let your body recognize that it is not in danger and has adequate dietary fat intake so that it lets go of its stores.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Griff is offline Senior Member

Looking at that list, there's not nearly enough fat and way too many carbs. Cut out the fruit - at least the banana - in the morning, and the chocolate for now. You should aim for a ratio of about 70-80% of your calories from fat and the rest protein, with minimal carbs (try for 20g or less per day).

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Ouis is offline Member

I do JUDDD--(Johnson's Up Day Down Day)alternate day fasting--and it is the only thing that has worked to help me lose fat--plus paleo food! every other day, I fast from dinner to dinner and eat between 500-600 calories for dinner on the fast day. I have been lowcarb for years, I have increased my fat, I have done everything I could to lose weight and everything came to a standstill until I added JUDDD. I also believe that because I eat freely (paleo) on alternate days, my metabolism is healing--just a thought--

Thanks for the feedback.

This diet is keeping me pretty satisfied, so what should I add for fat? I could add some almonds, cheese... I could stop grilling my steak and start cooking it in a skillet with butter. Any other thoughts?

And I'll cut the banana and the chocolate. I'm eating the berries because I remember reading they're a good source of antioxidants, but I could cut them out as well. The carrots and broccoli are high in carbs... should I swap them for something else?

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

Cut the banana and the chocolate. Intensify the weight training. Try to get your carbs on the days you are eating to less than 50 grams

Fast 2 days a week!

First week you will feel fatigued but you will lose weight. Your urine and breath will start smell funny.

Make sure you do your strength and intensified exercise (45 minutes) on a or after a day you had food.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sherissima is offline Member

I've been in a very similar situation, except my carbs were lower and fat higher, and still my weigh loss stopped for 3 weeks after a fantastic start.

1. How much have you lost since you started? Sometimes the body really needs to catch up with the fat loss!

2. I discovered (through trial and error) that I might be sensitive to too much protein. When I reduced my protein intake from 120-130g to 85-90g, my weight loss restarted. Excess dietary protein can be converted into glucose in the body, rather negating the low carb effect. In practice, I now eat 2 instead of 3 eggs fried in bacon grease, and more streaky bacon for breakfast; any veggies are drenched in olive oil (if not roasted in fat); and I eat avocados and coconut more regularly.

3. Reducing carbs. Yes, berries have a lot of antioxidants, but they also have fructose which some studies have shown to be more dangerous (in terms of fat gain and diabetes) than glucose. Dark chocolate/cocoa nibs also contain antioxidants, so maybe you can eat berries one day, a square of darkest choc the next. Oh, and drop the banana!

Good luck and hope you find what works for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast